Latest News

600 Guangdong drivers enter Hong Kong as thousands apply for new scheme

February 21, 2026 at 05:12 AM
By Harvey Kong
600 Guangdong drivers enter Hong Kong as thousands apply for new scheme
About 600 motorists from Guangdong have driven their vehicles into Hong Kong urban areas during the Lunar New Year holiday under a new scheme that has so far attracted 3,000 applications, according to the transport minister. Secretary for Transport and Logistics Mable Chan said on Saturday that weekend quotas for such trips had almost been filled on average during the holiday period. She added that the government would first consolidate the foundation of the scheme before reviewing the current...
About 600 motorists from Guangdong have driven their vehicles into Hong Kong urban areas during the Lunar New Year holiday under a new scheme that has so far attracted 3,000 applications, according to the transport minister. Secretary for Transport and Logistics Mable Chan said on Saturday that weekend quotas for such trips had almost been filled on average during the holiday period. She added that the government would first consolidate the foundation of the scheme before reviewing the current... AdvertisementHong Kong transportHong KongTransport600 Guangdong drivers enter Hong Kong as thousands apply for new schemeTransport minister Mable Chan says government has received 3,000 applications for the scheme so far, with 1,700 motorists already booking tripsReading Time:2 minutesWhy you can trust SCMPHarvey KongPublished: 1:12pm, 21 Feb 2026About 600 motorists from Guangdong have driven their vehicles into Hong Kong urban areas during the Lunar New Year holiday under a new scheme that has so far attracted 3,000 applications, according to the transport minister.Secretary for Transport and Logistics Mable Chan said on Saturday that weekend quotas for such trips had almost been filled on average during the holiday period.She added that the government would first consolidate the foundation of the scheme before reviewing the current quota.AdvertisementLaunched in late December 2025, the Southbound Travel for Guangdong Vehicles (Entry into Urban Area) scheme allows approved private cars from the neighbouring province to enter Hong Kong directly via the Hong Kong–Zhuhai–Macau Bridge.Under the scheme, motorists can stay for up to three days, with a daily quota of 100 vehicles.Mable Chan says the scheme is doing well in its initial stage. Photo: Edmond SoChan said the city government had received 3,000 applications for the initiative so far, with 1,700 motorists having already booked trips.AdvertisementSelect VoiceSelect Speed0.8x0.9x1.0x1.1x1.2x1.5x1.75x00:0000:001.00x
Share:

Help us improve this article. Share your feedback and suggestions.

Related Articles

12 police personnel suspended over cryptocurrency theft

12 police personnel suspended over cryptocurrency theft

KUALA LUMPUR: Twelve police personnel have been temporarily suspended from active duties in connection with the theft of cryptocurrency from Chinese nationals. Read full story

Feb 21, 2026
Bill to cap PM’s term at 10 years to be tabled on Monday

Bill to cap PM’s term at 10 years to be tabled on Monday

PETALING JAYA: Constitutional amendments to cap the Prime Minister's tenure at 10 years, or two terms, and to separate the roles of the Attorney General and Public Prosecutor will be tabled in the Dewan Rakyat on Monday (Feb 23). Read full story

Feb 21, 2026
📰

Bilingual mums' bond with children is strong despite switching languages, study

International Mother Language Day: Speaking and playing in a second language has no impact on mother-child brain synchrony, a new study has found.

Feb 21, 2026
📰

China showcases humanoid martial arts robots: Should Europe be worried?

As Beijing pushes forward in robotics, which it displayed at the Lunar New Year performance, a bigger question is emerging: how advanced are these systems really, and should Europe be concerned?

Feb 21, 2026
Unearthed temple in Nepal sheds new light on Buddha’s early life

Unearthed temple in Nepal sheds new light on Buddha’s early life

Nepal’s Lumbini has long anchored the Buddhist pilgrimage map as the Buddha’s birthplace. Nearby, however, stand the fortified ruins of Tilaurakot – believed to be the ancient capital where Siddhartha Gautam spent his princely years – a site of profound historical weight that draws only a fraction of the visitors. A newly unearthed temple could change that, archaeologists say, offering fresh evidence that Tilaurakot once held far greater religious significance to Buddhists than its quiet present...

Feb 21, 2026
Harry Brook hopes Pakistan players will not be overlooked for The Hundred

Harry Brook hopes Pakistan players will not be overlooked for The Hundred

England’s white-ball captain is set to play for the newly-renamed Sunrisers Leeds this summer.

Feb 21, 2026

Cookie Consent

We use cookies to enhance your browsing experience, analyze site traffic, and serve personalized ads. By clicking "Accept", you consent to our use of cookies. You can learn more about our cookie practices in our Privacy Policy.