Prince William and Kate support the King’s statement as former prince detained on suspicion of misconduct in public office
Analysis & Context
Prince William and Kate support the King’s statement as former prince detained on suspicion of misconduct in public office Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor arrested latest: King Charles says ‘law must take its course’ after brother taken into custody. Stay informed with the latest developments and expert analysis on this important story.
Prince William and Kate support the King’s statement as former prince detained on suspicion of misconduct in public office
LiveupdatedNewsUKCrimeAndrew Mountbatten-Windsor arrested latest: King Charles says ‘law must take its course’ after brother taken into custodyPrince William and Kate support the King’s statement as former prince detained on suspicion of misconduct in public officeDan Haygarth & Holly EvansThursday 19 February 2026 12:56 GMTBookmarkBookmark popoverRemoved from bookmarksClose popoverAndrew Mountbatten-Windsor taken into custody amid Epstein allegationsFor free real time breaking news alerts sent straight to your inbox sign up to our breaking news emailsSign up to our free breaking news emailsSign up to our free breaking news emailsEmail*SIGN UPI would like to be emailed about offers, events and updates from The Independent. Read our Privacy noticeThe King has said “the law must take its course” after his brother, Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, was arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office.It is understood that the Prince and Princess of Wales support the King’s statement, afterMr Mountbatten-Windsor, who turned 66 today, was detained at the Sandringham Estate in Norfolk on Thursday. In a statement released on Thursday afternoon, the monarch expressed “deepest concern” over Mr Mountbatten-Windsor’s arrest. He added: “What now follows is the full, fair and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities.”Police launched an investigation into the former prince’s dealings with the convicted child sex offender Jeffrey Epstein amid claims he shared sensitive information with the disgraced financier while serving as the UK’s trade envoy. It came after a new tranche of e-mails were released as part of the so-called Epstein files, released by the US Department of Justice. In a statement, Thames Valley Police said officers were carrying out searches at addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk. They added that the arrested man remains in police custody.Mr Mountbatten-Windsor has routinely denied any wrongdoing in relation to his connections to Epstein.RecommendedAndrew ‘was never a prince’ say Virginia Giuffre’s family after UK police arrestInside Royal Lodge: Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s home for 22 years as police search properties after his arrestTimeline of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s scandals as royal arrested on his birthday amid Epstein allegationsKey pointsAndrew Mountbatten-Windsor arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public officeKing says 'law must take its course' after brother's arrestPrince William and Kate support King's statementKing and Buckingham Palace not informed in advance of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s arrestFormer duke is first senior royal arrested since English Civil WarThames Valley Police statement in fullMP pushed government to publish files on Andrew's time as trade envoy earlyOur political correspondent Athena Stavrou writes: The government was asked last week if they would release files relating to Andrew Mountbatten Windsor’s role as a trade envoy early.As it stands, files related to Mr Mountbatten Windsor’s time in the role will be sealed until 2065, 105 years after his birth.Social Democratic and Labour Party MP Colum Eastwood asked the government in a written question last week if they would review the legislation that withholds the documents.However, a minister replied to say the foreign office will continue to operate in accordance with “statutory obligations”.In a post about his question following Mr Mountbatten Windsor’s arrest, Mr Eastwood said: “They declined but clearly that material should be made available to police.”Holly Evans19 February 2026 12:53Breaking: Prince William and Kate support King's statementThe Prince and Princess of Wales support the King’s statement following the arrest of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, it is understood. Holly Evans19 February 2026 12:48Royal Lodge reportedly searched by officersAndrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s former home Royal Lodge is currently being searched by police officers, the BBC reports. Thames Valley Police previously said that searches were being carried out at addresses in Norfolk and Berkshire. The former prince resided at the Windsor estate for over two decades before he was forced to relocate to a smaller property on the Sandringham estate in Norfolk last month. The BBC understands that the Grade II-listed 30-bedroom mansion is the only address being searched at the moment in Berkshire. Uniformed police officers have been seen outside the property while Mr Mountbatten-Windsor remains in police custody. Police officers are currently searching Royal Lodge on the Windsor estate (REUTERS)Holly Evans19 February 2026 12:46Andrew’s arrest is unprecedented in recent royal historyOur crime correspondent Amy-Clare Martin writes: Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s arrest is unprecedented in recent royal history.Police have the powers to hold the former prince for a maximum of 96 hours for questioning, though this would require multiple extensions from police and a magistrates’ c