Latest News

Australian with ISIS links in Syria temporarily blocked from coming home

February 18, 2026 at 06:17 AM
By ABC News Australia
Australian with ISIS links in Syria temporarily blocked from coming home

Analysis & Context

Australian with ISIS links in Syria temporarily blocked from coming home. Stay informed with the latest developments and expert analysis on this important story.
Australian citizen with ISIS links in Syria hit with exclusion order, federal government saysTopic:Foreign Affairs11m ago11 minutes agoWed 18 Feb 2026 at 6:17amA group of Australian families tried to leave the camp in Syria on Monday but were forced to turn back. (Supplied)abc.net.au/news/australia-issues-teo-against-isis-linked-citizen-in-syria-camp/106360092Link copiedShareShare articleThe federal government has temporarily banned an Australian citizen with links to Islamic State from returning home from Syria.Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke confirmed one of the 34 Australians who tried to leave a Syrian refugee camp earlier this week had been issued a temporary exclusion order "on advice from security agencies"."At this stage security agencies have not provided advice that other members of the cohort meet the required legal thresholds for temporary exclusion orders," he said in a statement.The order means the individual could be banned from entering Australia for up to two years.It comes after a group of 11 Australian families who have been held in the Al-Roj refugee camp in north-eastern Syria for more than six years attempted to start travelling home earlier in the week.On Monday the convoy left the camp with plans to head to the Syrian capital, Damascus, and then eventually continue home to Australia, the ABC was told.Shortly into their journey Syrian government authorities did not allow the group to continue, so they were forced to turn around.It is unclear when the group, which consists of 11 women and 23 children, may attempt the journey again.Opposition raises concerns about rest of groupThe temporary exclusion order is the latest action from the federal government, which has for years grappled with how to deal with the cohort of so-called "ISIS brides".Most of the women are presumed to have moved to Syria with their ISIS fighter husbands, who were then subsequently killed or captured when Kurdish forces, backed by the United States, helped to defeat IS in 2019.The children were either brought to Syria with their parents or born in the Al-Roj camp.Shadow Home Affairs Minister Jonno Duniam, who this week had called on the federal government to issue TEOs to block the cohort from returning, said he had "grave concerns" about the rest of the group."If the minister is claiming that only one of the 34 strong ISIS Bride cohort is deemed risky enough to warrant a Temporary Exclusion Order, then this raises more questions than answers," he said."These ISIS Brides all travelled to the same 'declared area' for the same reason of supporting the same listed terrorist organisation — how can only one member of this group be deemed a risk and the rest somehow OK?"Legal experts however had warned that Australia had an obligation to allow its citizens to return home, and argued that leaving them in Syria could put them at greater risk of radicalisation.Posted 11m ago11 minutes agoWed 18 Feb 2026 at 6:17amShare optionsCopy linkFacebookX (formerly Twitter)Top StoriesAustralian linked to ISIS blocked from returning homeLIVE

Related Articles

PNP respects Tulfo’s criticisms on e-sabong’s prevalence despite ban

PNP respects Tulfo’s criticisms on e-sabong’s prevalence despite ban

MANILA, Philippines — The Philippine National Police (PNP) on Wednesday said it respects Sen. Raffy Tulfo’s criticism of the law enforcement agency amid the persistence of online cockfighting (e-sabong) despite the ban. Tulfo questioned the PNP at a Senate games and amusement committee hearing last week, noting the agency’s intelligence fund and sharing a live

Feb 18, 2026
Ticket scalpers in Calapan City face P5,000 fine, 1- year jail time

Ticket scalpers in Calapan City face P5,000 fine, 1- year jail time

CALAPAN CITY — The Sangguniang Panlungsod here has passed an ordinance penalizing the scalping of passenger and vehicle tickets, a move aimed at protecting commuters from exploitation in one of Oriental Mindoro’s busiest transport hubs. City Ordinance No. 153, Series of 2026, also known as the “City of Calapan Anti-Scalping Ordinance of 2026,” prohibits the

Feb 18, 2026
‘A disgrace to football’: Vinicius Jr reports racist abuse as Real Madrid match halted

‘A disgrace to football’: Vinicius Jr reports racist abuse as Real Madrid match halted

Vinicius had an altercation with Benfica’s Gianluca Prestianni after scoring the only goal of the game, causing the Champions League match to be stopped for 11 minutes, with the forward responding to the incident by saying ‘racists are cowards’

Feb 18, 2026
Winter Olympics 2026: Today’s events and timings plus schedule in full

Winter Olympics 2026: Today’s events and timings plus schedule in full

Dates and times of all 116 events across 19 days in Milano Cortina

Feb 18, 2026
What is the hammer in curling and how does it work? Winter Olympics rules explained

What is the hammer in curling and how does it work? Winter Olympics rules explained

Ten nations are competing in each of curling’s three disciplines at the 2022 Winter Olympics

Feb 18, 2026
Israeli TV producer of award-winning show ‘Tehran’ found dead in Athens hotel room

Israeli TV producer of award-winning show ‘Tehran’ found dead in Athens hotel room

Dana Eden, an Israeli producer best known for co-creating the Apple TV show “Tehran,” was found dead on Sunday in Athens, where the show’s fourth season was being filmed, Greek police said. Eden, 52, was found dead in a hotel room after a relative made several failed attempts to reach her. Police said that her … The post Israeli TV producer of award-winning show ‘Tehran’ found dead in Athens hotel room appeared first on Egypt Independent.

Feb 18, 2026

Cookie Consent

We use cookies to enhance your browsing experience, analyze site traffic, and serve personalized ads. By clicking "Accept", you consent to our use of cookies. You can learn more about our cookie practices in our Privacy Policy.