Latest News

Campaigning starts for Nepal’s first election since deadly anti-corruption protests

February 16, 2026 at 04:16 AM
By Agence France-Presse
Campaigning starts for Nepal’s first election since deadly anti-corruption protests
Nepalese candidates launched their campaigns on Monday for next month’s parliamentary election, the first since deadly anti-corruption protests toppled the previous government last year. “This election will draw the future of the country,” Sushila Karki, who is serving as interim prime minister until the March 5 vote, said ahead of the launch. The youth-led protests were triggered by a brief social media ban but were fuelled by anger at economic stagnation and an ageing elite seen as out of...

Analysis & Context

Nepalese candidates launched their campaigns on Monday for next month’s parliamentary election, the first since deadly anti-corruption protests toppled the previous government last year. “This election will draw the future of the country,” Sushila Karki, who is serving as interim prime minister until the March 5 vote, said ahead of the launch. The youth-led protests were triggered by a brief social media ban but were fuelled by anger at economic stagnation and an ageing elite seen as out of... This article provides comprehensive coverage and analysis of current events.
Nepalese candidates launched their campaigns on Monday for next month’s parliamentary election, the first since deadly anti-corruption protests toppled the previous government last year. “This election will draw the future of the country,” Sushila Karki, who is serving as interim prime minister until the March 5 vote, said ahead of the launch. The youth-led protests were triggered by a brief social media ban but were fuelled by anger at economic stagnation and an ageing elite seen as out of... AdvertisementNepalAsiaSouth AsiaCampaigning starts for Nepal’s first election since deadly anti-corruption protestsNearly 19 million people have registered to vote, including 800,000 taking part for the first timeReading Time:2 minutesWhy you can trust SCMPAgence France-PressePublished: 12:16pm, 16 Feb 2026Nepalese candidates launched their campaigns on Monday for next month’s parliamentary election, the first since deadly anti-corruption protests toppled the previous government last year.“This election will draw the future of the country,” Sushila Karki, who is serving as interim prime minister until the March 5 vote, said ahead of the launch.The youth-led protests were triggered by a brief social media ban but were fuelled by anger at economic stagnation and an ageing elite seen as out of touch.AdvertisementOver two days in September, 77 people were killed, scores were injured, hundreds of buildings set on fire – including parliament, courts and a Hilton hotel – and 73-year-old Marxist leader K.P. Sharma Oli ousted. It was the Himalayan nation’s worst violence since a decade-long civil war in 2006.Balendra Shah’s supporters gather to wait for the former Kathmandu mayor, popularly known as “Balen”, during an election campaign in Janakpur on January 19. Photo: ReutersTwo weeks of campaigns will see a host of new, younger candidates promise to offer change, challenging veteran politicians who say they provide stability and security.AdvertisementAdvertisementSelect VoiceSelect Speed0.8x0.9x1.0x1.1x1.2x1.5x1.75x00:0000:001.00x

Related Articles

📰

Three better than one? Lions reveal reasons for ‘unique’ captaincy call

Brisbane Lions coach Chris Fagan has revealed the “unique” situation he found himself in which led to appointing three co-captains.

Feb 16, 2026
Elected officials urged to back political dynasty ban, make sacrifices

Elected officials urged to back political dynasty ban, make sacrifices

MANILA, Philippines – Elected government officials were challenged on Monday to make sacrifices to pass an Anti-Political Dynasty Bill during a public consultation in Marilao, Bulacan. During the consultation, led by the Senate committee on electoral reforms and people’s participation chairperson Risa Hontiveros, panelist El Latinazo of the Philippine Metalworkers’ Alliance made the remark while

Feb 16, 2026
NBI summons vlogger allegedly spreading fake Marcos medical records

NBI summons vlogger allegedly spreading fake Marcos medical records

MANILA, Philippines — The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) said on Monday that vlogger and social media personality Jack Argota was summoned to appear before its office on Wednesday, Feb. 18, for allegedly spreading fake medical records of President Ferdinand R. Marcos, Jr. In a press conference, NBI spokesperson Palmer Mallari said Argota was supposed

Feb 16, 2026
Binondo glows as Manila gears up for Chinese New Year

Binondo glows as Manila gears up for Chinese New Year

MANILA, Philippines – A day before the holiday, the Manila City government began installing Chinese lanterns in Binondo to show support for the Filipino-Chinese community’s celebration of Chinese New Year. In photos shared by the Department of Engineering and Public Works (DEPS), lanterns were seen being hung along the streets of Binondo and major thoroughfares

Feb 16, 2026
I’m a travel expert and these are the seven hottest destinations to visit in 2026

I’m a travel expert and these are the seven hottest destinations to visit in 2026

These are the countries tipped to be trendy this year, from Kyrgyzstan to Mallorca

Feb 16, 2026
When will British tourists be able to visit China visa-free?

When will British tourists be able to visit China visa-free?

Beijing says British passport holders will soon be able to enter without red tape

Feb 16, 2026

Cookie Consent

We use cookies to enhance your browsing experience, analyze site traffic, and serve personalized ads. By clicking "Accept", you consent to our use of cookies. You can learn more about our cookie practices in our Privacy Policy.