Latest News

Cash on offer to convince organisers to keep MotoGP on Phillip Island

February 17, 2026 at 01:30 AM
By ABC News Australia
Cash on offer to convince organisers to keep MotoGP on Phillip Island

Analysis & Context

Cash on offer to convince organisers to keep MotoGP on Phillip Island. Stay informed with the latest developments and expert analysis on this important story.
Victorian government offers cash to try to secure Australian Motorcycle Grand Prix at Phillip IslandBy Madeleine StuchberyABC GippslandTopic:Motor Sports1m ago1 minutes agoTue 17 Feb 2026 at 1:30amThe contract for the Australian Moto GP to be held at Phillip Island is set to expire. (Supplied: Ading Attamimi)In short:The Victorian government has offered additional funding to keep the Australian MotoGP on Phillip Island. The contract for the Motorcycle Grand Prix at the Phillip Island track is set to expire this year. What's next?It is not clear if event organiser Dorna Sports will accept the Victorian government's financial offer. abc.net.au/news/phillip-island-moto-gp-financial-lifeline-victorian-tourism/106330292Link copiedShareShare articleThe Victorian government has made a bid to keep the Australian Motorcycle Grand Prix on Phillip Island, offering to pay its operator to keep the event in regional Victoria.The government says it is promising additional funding as an incentive to operator Dorna Sports to continue to stage the event at Phillip Island in October.But the government will not reveal how much it has offered, and it is unclear whether Dorna Sports has accepted the lifeline.The MotoGP has been held at the Phillip Island track since the 1990s and draws thousands of tourists to Gippsland's Bass Coast each year. Marco Bezzecchi of Italy for Aprilia Racing during the 2025 Australian Motorcycle Grand Prix at Phillip Island. (AAP: Joel Carrett)'We've put our best foot forward'Tourism, Sport and Major Events Minister Steve Dimopoulos said 91,000 visitors attended the event last year.The ABC understands Dorna Sports wants to move it to Melbourne's Albert Park, a request Mr Dimopoulos said the state government opposed."We're not selling out Phillip Island," he said."The negotiations are still on foot. And we've put our best foot forward."Campaign to save eventLast year, residents of the island and the Bass Coast Shire Council issued an urgent call for support to have the event contract renewed.Bass Coast Mayor Rochelle Halstead said she had received scant details about the financial aid, but said the offer spoke to the local community's campaign to save the track.Rochelle Halstead says the community is rallying to keep the MotoGP at Phillip Island. (Supplied: Jarrod Whittaker)Cr Halstead said a petition with more than 4,000 signatures was submitted to the government last year."I'm absolutely thrilled. There was a lot of concern that this may not happen and that's why we started a campaign. People came out and showed their love for the race," she said."I'm hoping as part of the agreement to see an infrastructure investment at the site to bring it to international standards, and I'm looking forward to seeing what's in the contract and how long that has been signed for."But [the GP] is absolutely part of the Bass Coast community fabric."The Superbike World Championships will be held on the island later this week.The ABC has contacted Dorna Sports for comment.Posted 1m ago1 minutes agoTue 17 Feb 2026 at 1:30amShare optionsCopy linkFacebookX (formerly Twitter)PromotionTop Stories'You make your bed, you lie in it': Albanese's warning to 'ISIS brides' in SyriaTopic:Unrest, Conflict and War

Related Articles

📰

Brial punch goes unpunished

Joe Brial's punch goes unpunished in the Waratahs vs Reds game.

Feb 17, 2026
What next for Okinawa’s anti-base alliance after Japan election loss?

What next for Okinawa’s anti-base alliance after Japan election loss?

The broad anti-base alliance that has shaped Okinawa’s politics for nearly a decade is reeling after a bruising election defeat, raising questions about the future of organised resistance to the US military presence on Japan’s southernmost islands. All Okinawa – a coalition of opposition parties and civic groups that backs Governor Denny Tamaki and campaigns to curb the US military footprint in the prefecture – failed to win a single one of Okinawa’s four single-seat constituencies in the...

Feb 17, 2026
Figure Skating-Germany's Fabienne Hase says bronze with Volodin "doesn't suck at all"

Figure Skating-Germany's Fabienne Hase says bronze with Volodin "doesn't suck at all"

Feb 17, 2026
Landmark report finds racism 'deeply embedded' in universities

Landmark report finds racism 'deeply embedded' in universities

Feb 17, 2026
📰

What about the utes and jet-skis?: Construction company donor’s spray

As the premier faced a feisty press conference, a donor company under scrutiny has made startling allegations of corruption.

Feb 17, 2026
Marcos declares six local holidays in February, March

Marcos declares six local holidays in February, March

MANILA, Philippines — President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. has declared special non-working days in six areas to allow residents to fully participate in their respective local celebrations. Proclamation No. 1162, signed by Executive Secretary Ralph Recto on Feb. 9, declared March 20 a special non-working day in the City of San Fernando, La Union in celebration of

Feb 17, 2026

Cookie Consent

We use cookies to enhance your browsing experience, analyze site traffic, and serve personalized ads. By clicking "Accept", you consent to our use of cookies. You can learn more about our cookie practices in our Privacy Policy.