Latest News

Documents reveal messages between Chinese official and accused spy trio

February 18, 2026 at 07:50 PM
By ABC News Australia
Documents reveal messages between Chinese official and accused spy trio

Analysis & Context

Documents reveal messages between Chinese official and accused spy trio. Stay informed with the latest developments and expert analysis on this important story.
Court documents reveal messages between Chinese official and trio accused of foreign interferenceEBy Elizabeth ByrneTopic:National Security8m ago8 minutes agoWed 18 Feb 2026 at 7:50pmPolice allege a man and two women gathered information on a local Buddhist group. (Supplied: AFP)In short:New court documents show the alleged WeChat messages of three Chinese Australians accused of foreign interference.Two women and a man are on bail, accused of spying on a local Buddhist group, which is banned in China.What's next?It is expected that the trio will plead not guilty, with their cases to return to court later this year.abc.net.au/news/court-releases-accused-chinese-spy-correspondence/106361016Link copiedShareShare articleGoogle and Facebook have been revealed as primary sources of information for three Chinese Australians accused of spying for China on the Buddhist organisation Guan Yin Citta.The Buddhist group is banned in China.A 25-year-old man, whose name has been suppressed, and 31-year-old Suri Zheng were granted bail last week in the ACT Magistrates Court.The pair is charged with reckless foreign interference and is linked to a 37-year-old woman arrested last year on the same charge.News of the alleged spy operation broke last year when police searched the first woman's home, revealing a raft of luxury goods, including handbags worth tens of thousands of dollars.But details of anyone else accused of involvement have only now emerged after the 25-year-old-man and Ms Zheng were arrested in Canberra last week.'Get to investigating immediately'Court documents released overnight show the police case is largely reliant on WeChat communications between the three accused and an official working for China's Public Security Bureau.Police allege the older woman first contacted the other two from China in May, 2022, outlining a list of tasks to gather information on the Buddhist group based in Australia.Police said the man asked what topics should be investigated, with the woman replying: "All of them". "Man … I'll give it a try," he responded. "Get to investigating immediately. The priority is to investigate the current status of the Guan Yin Citta and their official site," she said. One topic the group was asked to investigate was the response to the 2021 death of Guan Yin Citta's leader, Chinese-born Australian Richard Jin Hong Lu. The Buddhist leader's group also had a media company, Oriental TV and Radio.The WeChat messages showed Ms Zheng was tasked with finding out about it. Chinese woman Siru Zheng, 31, is accused of foreign interference. (ABC News)She allegedly resorted to Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) documents to determine who was behind the company.The messages showed the contact from China had urged the group to come up with street addresses for people linked to the Buddhist group. In one message, allegedly from Ms Zheng, she said the radio station was likely just a name:"…the actual 'radio station' likely refers to YouTube. Twitter. Fb. this sort of thing … Instagram accounts too ..."Woman told to join groupThe court materials showed police alleged the group gathered information from many open sources, including news items from SBS Chinese programs.When the 37-year-old returned to Australia, she allegedly told her Chinese contact the Buddhist group had set up in Canberra.In the messages released by the court, the contact in China urged the woman to join them and climb the hierarchy."You can slip in, climb as high as you can [chuckle emoji]," the Chinese official said."Are you serious?" the woman responded.The official described the exercise as having "a bit of a spy thriller about it". The woman suggested she could be arrested.After the police search but before her arrest, police said the 37-year-old was recorded telling a business associate:"… someone is interested in this thing. And then told me that it's inconvenient to use Google in China, so asked me to use Google to search," she said.The 25-year-old man is also alleged to have told police, "If I was asked to get some information from online, I would just do it".All three are free on bail and have indicated pleas of not guilty.Last week, the court heard that the closest any of the three have come to the Buddhist group was for the man to attempt to phone them, but the call was unanswered.Their cases will return to court later in the year.Posted 8m ago8 minutes agoWed 18 Feb 2026 at 7:50pmShare optionsCopy linkFacebookX (formerly Twitter)PromotionTop StoriesAustralian couple's desperate plea amid international surrogacy nightmareTopic:Surrogacy

Related Articles

Kidnapped businessman saved; 3 suspects caught

Kidnapped businessman saved; 3 suspects caught

MANILA, Philippines — Three individuals have been arrested for allegedly kidnapping a businessman in Mandaluyong City while a search is ongoing for the supposed mastermind, the Anti-Kidnapping Group (AKG) of the Philippine National Police said on Wednesday. “The victim is now safe and reunited with his family. Three suspects were arrested during the police operation:

Feb 18, 2026
LTFRB sets weekly hearings on jeep fare hike petitions

LTFRB sets weekly hearings on jeep fare hike petitions

MANILA, Philippines — The Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB) will start holding public consultations next week on various petitions to hike passenger jeepney fares amid a surge in the price of fuel products. The LTFRB said the series of weekly oil price increases and the rising costs of maintaining vehicles prompted various transport

Feb 18, 2026
Edsa busway incident gets SAICT official fired

Edsa busway incident gets SAICT official fired

MANILA, Philippines — The head of the Special Action Intelligence Committee for Transportation (SAICT) in charge of enforcing the rules on the use of the Edsa busway was removed from his post on Wednesday, a day after his enforcers flagged down on the exclusive bus lane an ambulance that was bringing a cancer patient to

Feb 18, 2026
21 injured after cop’s car hits 15 vehicles in Taguig

21 injured after cop’s car hits 15 vehicles in Taguig

MANILA, Philippines — A police officer was arrested after his vehicle rammed into 14 motorcycles and a sedan in Taguig City, leaving 21 people hurt. The police staff sergeant, who is assigned to the Aviation Security Group and was not identified, said that his brakes malfunctioned. A police report said the accident happened on Monday

Feb 18, 2026
US women’s hockey on the brink of legacy in dream matchup vs Canada for gold

US women’s hockey on the brink of legacy in dream matchup vs Canada for gold

This will be their seventh gold medal matchup in eight Olympics since women’s hockey debuted in 1998

Feb 18, 2026
Argentine youngster in eye of racism storm after Vinicius accusation

Argentine youngster in eye of racism storm after Vinicius accusation

Benfica’s 20-year-old winger Gianluca Prestianni, a youth star who has already made his national team debut for Argentina, faces a UEFA investigation after Brazilian star Vinícius Júnior alleged he was racially abused during a heated Champions League clash in Lisbon. Leer más

Feb 18, 2026

Cookie Consent

We use cookies to enhance your browsing experience, analyze site traffic, and serve personalized ads. By clicking "Accept", you consent to our use of cookies. You can learn more about our cookie practices in our Privacy Policy.