Latest News

Hong Kong bus driver alleged to have crashed deliberately on bridge granted bail

February 18, 2026 at 11:05 AM
By Matthew Cheng
Hong Kong bus driver alleged to have crashed deliberately on bridge granted bail
A Hong Kong court has granted bail to a driver suspected to have deliberately crashed his coach on the Shenzhen Bay Bridge, injuring 17 passengers, with the magistrate urging the man’s family to “pay extra attention” to his condition. Lee Kai-po, 63, appeared before West Kowloon Court on a charge of dangerous driving causing grievous bodily harm on Wednesday. Bail was set at HK$50,000 (US$6,370). As part of his bail conditions, Lee was told to hand in his driving licence and ordered not to leave...

Analysis & Context

A Hong Kong court has granted bail to a driver suspected to have deliberately crashed his coach on the Shenzhen Bay Bridge, injuring 17 passengers, with the magistrate urging the man’s family to “pay extra attention” to his condition. Lee Kai-po, 63, appeared before West Kowloon Court on a charge of dangerous driving causing grievous bodily harm on Wednesday. Bail was set at HK$50,000 (US$6,370). As part of his bail conditions, Lee was told to hand in his driving licence and ordered not to leave... This article provides comprehensive coverage and analysis of current events.
A Hong Kong court has granted bail to a driver suspected to have deliberately crashed his coach on the Shenzhen Bay Bridge, injuring 17 passengers, with the magistrate urging the man’s family to “pay extra attention” to his condition. Lee Kai-po, 63, appeared before West Kowloon Court on a charge of dangerous driving causing grievous bodily harm on Wednesday. Bail was set at HK$50,000 (US$6,370). As part of his bail conditions, Lee was told to hand in his driving licence and ordered not to leave... AdvertisementHong Kong courtsHong KongLaw and CrimeHong Kong bus driver alleged to have crashed deliberately on bridge granted bailLee Kai-po, 63, has been charged with dangerous driving causing grievous bodily harmReading Time:2 minutesWhy you can trust SCMPMatthew ChengPublished: 7:05pm, 18 Feb 2026A Hong Kong court has granted bail to a driver suspected to have deliberately crashed his coach on the Shenzhen Bay Bridge, injuring 17 passengers, with the magistrate urging the man’s family to “pay extra attention” to his condition.Lee Kai-po, 63, appeared before West Kowloon Court on a charge of dangerous driving causing grievous bodily harm on Wednesday. Bail was set at HK$50,000 (US$6,370).As part of his bail conditions, Lee was told to hand in his driving licence and ordered not to leave the city. Magistrate Tobias Cheng Yun-chung adjourned the case to April 29, upon prosecutors’ request.AdvertisementLee’s coach hit the railings of the Shenzhen Bay Bridge on Sunday, leaving eight men and nine women, aged between 25 and 64, injured.Twenty-five passengers were on the Kwun Tong-bound coach. Most of the injured were reportedly Hong Kong residents, apart from a man and two women from mainland China, and a woman who held a US passport.AdvertisementThe injured were sent to Tuen Mun and Tin Shui Wai hospitals for treatment.The crash triggered a partial closure of lanes on the bridge.AdvertisementSelect VoiceSelect Speed0.8x0.9x1.0x1.1x1.2x1.5x1.75x00:0000:001.00x

Related Articles

China targets foreign tourists for Lunar New Year ‘consumption feast’

China targets foreign tourists for Lunar New Year ‘consumption feast’

China is gearing up to harness the extended Lunar New Year holiday to attract more spending by international tourists, as the country looks to shake off a recent economic slowdown and pivot towards consumption-driven growth. In a rare joint initiative by nine central government departments, Beijing announced plans earlier this month to turn the holiday – which this year began on Sunday and runs through February 23 – into a “consumption feast that links regions and engages everyone”. The move...

Feb 18, 2026
Iran closes key Strait of Hormuz shipping route after ayatollah threatens to sink US warships

Iran closes key Strait of Hormuz shipping route after ayatollah threatens to sink US warships

The strategic waterway has not been shut since the 1980s. The move comes amid ongoing tensions with the US

Feb 18, 2026
NBI saves minor, nabs 3 suspects in human trafficking case in La Union

NBI saves minor, nabs 3 suspects in human trafficking case in La Union

MANILA, Philippines — The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) has nabbed three individuals allegedly involved in qualified human trafficking in San Fernando, La Union. A 16-year-old minor victim was also rescued following the National-Ilocos Regional Office’s operation in Brgy. San Francisco on Feb. 10, the NBI said in a statement on Wednesday. READ: NBI arrests

Feb 18, 2026
Water districts seek ‘clear path forward’ amid PrimeWater transition

Water districts seek ‘clear path forward’ amid PrimeWater transition

MANILA, Philippines — Several local water districts (LWDs) are calling for a more transparent transition following reports of the 100% acquisition of Primewater Infrastructure Corporation by the Lucio Co-led Crystal Bridges Holding Corporation. While the entry of new investment is often seen as a boost for infrastructure development, five major water districts—Floridablanca, Angeles City, San

Feb 18, 2026
Verisk quarterly profit beats estimates on steady data analytics demand

Verisk quarterly profit beats estimates on steady data analytics demand

Feb 18, 2026
Ukraine officials to boycott Winter Paralympics in protest over Russia’s participation

Ukraine officials to boycott Winter Paralympics in protest over Russia’s participation

Six Russian athletes have been given the green light to compete for their nations at the Winter Paralympics

Feb 18, 2026

Cookie Consent

We use cookies to enhance your browsing experience, analyze site traffic, and serve personalized ads. By clicking "Accept", you consent to our use of cookies. You can learn more about our cookie practices in our Privacy Policy.