Federal investigators say a veteran agent with the Drug Enforcement Administration took cash to push fraudulent visa applications through the U.S. Embassy in the Dominican Republic
Analysis & Context
Federal investigators say a veteran agent with the Drug Enforcement Administration took cash to push fraudulent visa applications through the U.S. Embassy in the Dominican Republic Inside the bribery plot that led to a DEA supervisor's downfall in the Dominican Republic. Stay informed with the latest developments and expert analysis on this important story.
Federal investigators say a veteran agent with the Drug Enforcement Administration took cash to push fraudulent visa applications through the U.S. Embassy in the Dominican Republic
NewsInside the bribery plot that led to a DEA supervisor's downfall in the Dominican RepublicFederal investigators say a veteran agent with the Drug Enforcement Administration took cash to push fraudulent visa applications through the U.S. Embassy in the Dominican RepublicJoshua Goodman & Jim MustianThursday 19 February 2026 01:54 GMTBookmarkBookmark popoverRemoved from bookmarksClose popoverDominican Republic US Corruption (Copyright 2025 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.)Your support helps us to tell the storyRead moreSupport NowFrom reproductive rights to climate change to Big Tech, The Independent is on the ground when the story is developing. Whether it's investigating the financials of Elon Musk's pro-Trump PAC or producing our latest documentary, 'The A Word', which shines a light on the American women fighting for reproductive rights, we know how important it is to parse out the facts from the messaging.At such a critical moment in US history, we need reporters on the ground. Your donation allows us to keep sending journalists to speak to both sides of the story.The Independent is trusted by Americans across the entire political spectrum. And unlike many other quality news outlets, we choose not to lock Americans out of our reporting and analysis with paywalls. We believe quality journalism should be available to everyone, paid for by those who can afford it.Your support makes all the difference.Read more The scheme began, investigators say, with a hushed message passed along by a music promoter in the Caribbean: Instead of the usual years-long wait to apply for permission to enter the United States, a visa appointment at the U.S. Embassy in the Dominican Republic could be had in as little as two weeks. All it took was $10,000 in cash â and a trusted contact inside the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration.According to a criminal complaint unsealed Wednesday, that DEA contact was Meliton Cordero, a supervisor for the anti-narcotics agency assigned to the Dominican Republic for the past five years. Prosecutors say Cordero leveraged his position inside the U.S. Embassy to push visa applications forward, claiming applicants were valuable law-enforcement sources â even when he had never met them.In total, the longtime agent submitted or approved nearly 120 visa referrals during his posting â an extraordinarily high number, consular officials told investigators.Cordero's arrest last week in Washington as part of the ongoing investigation prompted the Trump administration to abruptly shutter the DEA's office in the Caribbean nation over what it said was a âdisgusting and disgraceful violation of public trust.âThe DEA has not commented on the specific allegations but has said it is cooperating with investigators. After The Associated Press broke the news of Corderoâs arrest last week, DEA Administrator Terry Cole sent out a message reassuring the agency's staff that the closure would be temporary and that he would safeguard the reputation of the agency whose overwhelming majority of agents serve with honor every day.âMisuse of public office for personal benefit will not be tolerated,â Cole wrote in the message, a copy of which was obtained by the AP. âConduct that calls our integrity into question undermines the trust that makes our mission possible. We will act decisively to protect that trust.âJeanine Pirro, the U.S. attorney for the District of Columbia, released a video Friday accusing Cordero of subverting the White House's immigration agenda and suggested some of the individuals he helped may not even be eligible for entry into the U.S.âWhen you sell out our country, and when you do it with a badge, you need to remember that we are going to find you and don't think that if you're outside the continental United States that we're not going to know what you're doing,â she said. Calls to Cordero and an email to a public defender who represented him at his initial appearance last week were not returned. He was released on a personal recognizance bond and is scheduled to next appear in court on March 6. How investigators developed a sting According to the complaint, which charges Cordero with bribery and visa fraud, Homeland Security Investigations agents first caught wind of the agent's alleged misconduct through a former embassy employee who worked in a visa consulting business. In 2024, the former embassy employee was approached by a local music promoter, who provided Cordero's email address, boasting that the âconnectionâ inside the embassy could reduce wait times for a visa appointment to as little as two weeks. The price for jumping the line: $10,000, the bulk to be paid after the consular interview.The music promoter is not identified by name in the complaint and is described only as a âknown promoter and talent agent of music in the Dominican Republicâ who had worked legitimately with the former embassy employee in the past to secure visas for several clients.In December, investigators deve