US is building up its forces in the Middle East amid reports military could strike within days
Analysis & Context
US is building up its forces in the Middle East amid reports military could strike within days Iran-Trump live: US military ‘to strike within days’ after White House warns Tehran to make a deal. Stay informed with the latest developments and expert analysis on this important story.
US is building up its forces in the Middle East amid reports military could strike within days
LiveupdatedNewsWorldMiddle EastIran-Trump live: US military ‘to strike within days’ after White House warns Tehran to make a dealUS is building up its forces in the Middle East amid reports military could strike within daysJames C. Reynolds Thursday 19 February 2026 13:56 GMTBookmarkCommentsGo to commentsBookmark popoverRemoved from bookmarksClose popoverJD Vance says US is seeking Iran nuclear deal through diplomacy 'or another option'Your support helps us to tell the storyRead moreSupport NowFrom reproductive rights to climate change to Big Tech, The Independent is on the ground when the story is developing. Whether it's investigating the financials of Elon Musk's pro-Trump PAC or producing our latest documentary, 'The A Word', which shines a light on the American women fighting for reproductive rights, we know how important it is to parse out the facts from the messaging.At such a critical moment in US history, we need reporters on the ground. Your donation allows us to keep sending journalists to speak to both sides of the story.The Independent is trusted by Americans across the entire political spectrum. And unlike many other quality news outlets, we choose not to lock Americans out of our reporting and analysis with paywalls. We believe quality journalism should be available to everyone, paid for by those who can afford it.Your support makes all the difference.Read moreThe US could launch military strikes on Iran within days, according to reports, as the White House issued a stark warning that Tehran should make a deal. President Donald Trump has sent warships, tankers and submarines to the Middle East to be ready for potential strikes as soon as Saturday, sources told CBS.Washington and Tehran have been working to resolve a longstanding dispute over Iran’s nuclear programme, but concluded intensive talks in Geneva this week without a breakthrough.While Iran said an understanding had been reached in principle, US vice president JD Vance said on Tuesday that Iran was still ignoring Washington’s core demands, suggesting strikes were still on the table.Iranian Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei warned this week that Iran was prepared to retaliate, saying the United States “may be struck so hard that it cannot get back up” if it renews attacks against the regime.Iran was preparing to put on a show of strength with rocket launches across the south on Thursday.RecommendedF35s, tankers and the world’s largest warship: Trump’s forces build up ahead of potential Iran strikeKey PointsTrump says Gloucestershire RAF base could be used to strike IranWhy is the US threatening Iran?Russia prepared to take uranium from Iran to secure US nuclear dealRussia is prepared to accept enriched uranium from Iran if such an agreement were to be reached, Russian news agency Interfax reported on Thursday, citing Alexei Likhachev, CEO of Russian nuclear state corporation Rosatom.Russia's foreign ministry said on Wednesday that a proposal to remove uranium from Iran as part of a deal to ease US concerns was still on the table, but that it was for Tehran to decide whether or not to remove it.Vladimir Putin (Sputnik)James Reynolds19 February 2026 13:56In pictures: F/A-18 Super Hornets land on the USS Abraham Lincoln in the Arabian SeaF/A-18 Super Hornets from Strike Fighter Squadron 14 land on the deck of USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN 72) in the Arabian Sea (US Centcom)F/A-18 Super Hornets from Strike Fighter Squadron 14 land on the deck of USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN 72) in the Arabian Sea (US Centcom)James Reynolds19 February 2026 13:27Iran expected to make the next move with diplomacy under strainIran is expected to submit a written proposal on how to avoid its standoff with the United States.A senior US official told Reuters a proposal was expected on Wednesday, following talks in Geneva earlier this week.They added that top national security advisors had been briefed that the US would otherwise have all its forces deployed to the region by mid-March.Secretary of State Marco Rubio will meet Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in Israel on the weekend of February 28, the official said.James Reynolds19 February 2026 13:01US is getting closer to war with Iran, Trump sources warn“The boss is getting fed up,” a Trump advisor told Axios as nuclear talks fail to make a breakthrough.“Some people around him warn him against going to war with Iran, but I think there is 90 per cent chance we see kinetic action in the next few weeks.”Here’s why Trump insiders think strikes are getting closer despite the restarting of talks:US is getting closer to war with Iran, Trump sources warnA Trump adviser has said there could be ‘kinetic action’ in the coming weeksJames Reynolds19 February 2026 12:30Son of detained British couple in Iran hopes government will act to save themThe son of the British couple sentenced to 10 years in prison in Iran says he hopes the UK government will act and use every available avenue to secure their release.Joe Bennett, the son o