Latest News

Jury shown CCTV of alleged attack in postmaster manslaughter trial

February 17, 2026 at 07:17 AM
By ABC News Australia
Jury shown CCTV of alleged attack in postmaster manslaughter trial

Analysis & Context

Jury shown CCTV of alleged attack in postmaster manslaughter trial. Stay informed with the latest developments and expert analysis on this important story.
Jury shown footage of alleged attack on Strathmerton postmaster John BurkeBy Charmaine ManuelABC SheppartonTopic:Courts5m ago5 minutes agoTue 17 Feb 2026 at 7:17amThe trial is being held in the Supreme Court of Victoria. (ABC News: Karen Percy)In short: A jury in the trial of 47-year-old Troy Maskell, accused of the 2021 manslaughter death of 73-year-old John Burke, has watched CCTV footage of the alleged attack.The footage allegedly depicts Mr Maskell throwing a one-litre bottle of sports drink against Mr Burke before kicking him to the ground.What's next?Mr Maskell is set to face a two-week trial in the Supreme Court of Victoria, which will hear from several medical experts abc.net.au/news/maskell-manslaughter-john-burke-strathmerton-service-station/106352992Link copiedShareShare articleA jury in the Victorian Supreme Court trial of a man accused of the manslaughter of 73-year-old postmaster John Burke has watched CCTV footage of the alleged attack. Troy Matthew Maskell, 47, has pleaded not guilty to the manslaughter of Mr Burke, who died following an alleged attack at a service station in the Northern Victorian town of Strathmerton in August 2021. The court heard Mr Burke died in hospital in October that year, which the prosecution alleges was the result of a brain bleed and pelvis fracture sustained during the incident. 'Unprovoked attack,' says prosecutionCrown prosecutor Erin Ramsay told the jury that the incident was a "completely unprovoked attack" that occurred after midnight on August 8, 2021, by an "intoxicated" Mr Maskell. The jury heard that Mr Burke was the town's postmaster and lived alone at the rear of the post office. He was a frequent late-night visitor to the service station, which he attended for food and company, Ms Ramsay said. The court heard that on August 8, 2021, Mr Burke had been chatting in the store for 10 minutes, with store attendant Brenton North, when Mr Maskell arrived with his partner, her son and his young daughter. Ms Ramsay told the jury that Mr Burke had greeted Mr Maskell's daughter, saying, "Hey, how are youse?" To which she responded, "Yeah, really good."Ms Ramsay told the court that Mr Maskell's partner took issue with this and became aggressive, calling Mr Burke a "paedophile".This was "a completely unfounded allegation," Ms Ramsay told the jury.The jury heard that the family were purchasing food and drinks, including a one-litre bottle of sports drink. The court heard Mr Maskell entered the service station and told his daughter to leave before asking Mr Burke, "Do we have a problem?" To which Mr Burke answered, "No". The prosecution presented CCTV footage of the incident to the jury, alleging that Mr Maskell picked up the sports drink and "threw it directly at the head of Mr Burke", who was struck on the left side of his head.Ms Ramsay told the jury that Mr Burke's glasses were dislodged and fell to the floor before Mr Maskell "walked towards and kicked him to his left hip, causing him to fall to the ground."Mr Maskell "stomped" on Mr Burke's glasses before kicking the sports drink bottle against Mr Burke's upper leg area, Ms Ramsay said. Medical experts to be calledThe jury is expected to hear from several medical experts, including the paramedic who assisted Mr Burke, doctors from the Royal Melbourne Hospital where Mr Burke was treated, and a forensic pathologist.The jury also heard pre-recorded evidence from Mr North, the service station attendant.Mr North's evidence said that he called Triple Zero, which instructed him to drain blood from Mr Burke's ear after the incident, but that Mr Burke was "in too much pain" to be rolled over on his side.The jury was told by the prosecution and Justice James Elliot that they would need to satisfy four elements to find Mr Maskell guilty of manslaughter. The jury was instructed that they would need to find that Mr Maskell committed an act that caused the death of another, that it was conscious, voluntary and deliberate, and that the acts were unlawful or dangerous.Defence takes issue Defence barrister Georgina Conolly told the court she took issue with the claim that Mr Maskell specifically intended to throw the plastic bottle at Mr Burke's head and that he intended to kick Mr Burke to the ground. Ms Conolly told the jury they would also have to consider whatever else happened to Mr Burke in the two months he spent in hospital and his pre-existing conditions. The trial continues.Posted 5m ago5 minutes agoTue 17 Feb 2026 at 7:17amShare optionsCopy linkFacebookX (formerly Twitter)Top StoriesAngus Taylor reveals shadow ministry elevating Hastie, Nampijinpa PriceTopic:Federal Government

Related Articles

Trump administration carried out Epstein ‘cover-up’, claims Hillary Clinton

Trump administration carried out Epstein ‘cover-up’, claims Hillary Clinton

Feb 17, 2026
Marcoleta okays bar association’s offer to moderate debate with Carpio

Marcoleta okays bar association’s offer to moderate debate with Carpio

MANILA, Philippines — Senator Rodante Marcoleta has agreed to the Philippine Bar Association’s proposal to moderate the planned debate between him and former Supreme Court Associate Justice Antonio Carpio regarding issues related to the West Philippine Sea. The senator expressed such readiness in a televised interview on Tuesday, saying that he is willing to partake

Feb 17, 2026
Chinese lunar new year 2025: Which zodiac animal are you?

Chinese lunar new year 2025: Which zodiac animal are you?

The year of the horse is full of ambition and new opportunities

Feb 17, 2026
📰

Frederick Wiseman, giant of documentary filmmaking, dies aged 96

Wiseman’s influence on non-fiction cinema is impossible to overstate. Over the course of six decades, his work was primarily about exploring American institutions.

Feb 17, 2026
📰

Dar al-Ifta observes Ramadan crescent moon on Tuesday

The Egyptian Dar al-Ifta is organizing a large official and public celebration on Tuesday evening at the Grand Hall of the Al-Azhar Conference Center in Nasr City, to observe the crescent moon of the holy month of Ramadan for the Islamic year 1447 AH. Dar al-Ifta announced that the Ramadan crescent observation ceremony for this … The post Dar al-Ifta observes Ramadan crescent moon on Tuesday appeared first on Egypt Independent.

Feb 17, 2026
Hong Kong welcomes at least 4 new babies as it enters Year of the Horse

Hong Kong welcomes at least 4 new babies as it enters Year of the Horse

Hong Kong has welcomed at least four new babies as it enters the Year of the Horse, including a girl whose father is a talent visa holder from mainland China and a boy who is the fifth child of a local couple. Four babies were born at midnight on Tuesday: a girl and a boy at Union Hospital in Tai Wai; a boy at Kwong Wah Hospital in Yau Ma Tei; and a girl at St Teresa’s Hospital in Kowloon City. The boy born at Union Hospital weighed 2.94kg (6.48lbs) and was the fifth child of the Tang...

Feb 17, 2026

Cookie Consent

We use cookies to enhance your browsing experience, analyze site traffic, and serve personalized ads. By clicking "Accept", you consent to our use of cookies. You can learn more about our cookie practices in our Privacy Policy.