Latest News

L.A. Mayor Karen Bass Now Says Casey Wasserman Should “Step Down” From LA28 Amid Epstein Files Backlash

February 17, 2026 at 02:21 AM
By Carly Thomas
Her comments came after the L.A. Olympics Committee board publicly backed Wasserman, who announced the sale of his company last week.

Analysis & Context

Her comments came after the L.A. Olympics Committee board publicly backed Wasserman, who announced the sale of his company last week. L.A. Mayor Karen Bass Now Says Casey Wasserman Should “Step Down” From LA28 Amid Epstein Files Backlash. Stay informed with the latest developments and expert analysis on this important story.
Her comments came after the L.A. Olympics Committee board publicly backed Wasserman, who announced the sale of his company last week. Casey Wasserman and Karen Bass Andreas Rentz/Getty Images; Mario Tama/Getty Images Share on Facebook Share on X Google Preferred Share to Flipboard Show additional share options Share on LinkedIn Share on Pinterest Share on Reddit Share on Tumblr Share on Whats App Send an Email Print the Article Post a Comment Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass is calling on Casey Wasserman to step down as chairperson of LA28 after some emails of his surfaced in the Department of Justice’s Jeffrey Epstein document release. During an interview on CNN Monday, the mayor said, “I cannot fire him, but I have an opinion. And my opinion is that he should step down. That’s not the opinion of the board.” Last week, Wasserman was publicly backed by the Los Angeles Olympics Committee board after they hired an outside law firm to review his interactions with Ghislaine Maxwell, the convicted sex trafficker connected to Epstein. Their flirtatious correspondence took place in 2003, years before Epstein’s arrest in Palm Beach. “LA28 takes allegations of misconduct seriously, and our Board is committed to thoroughly reviewing any concerns related to the organization’s leadership,” the executive committee wrote. “Mr. Wasserman fully cooperated with the review. We found Mr. Wasserman’s relationship with Epstein and Maxwell did not go beyond what has already been publicly documented.” Related Stories News Epstein Survivor Accuses 'Grand Theft Auto V' Producer of Sexual Assault Epstein Fallout Who Will Buy Wasserman? Allies Weigh Options as Rivals Have Knives Out Bass made it clear in today’s interview that she disagreed with the board’s decision. “Here, LA28, which is the committee that is involved with the Olympics, has the discretion,” she told CNN. “The board made a decision. I think that decision was unfortunate. I don’t support the decision. I do think that we need to look at the leadership.” The mayor also called Maxwell’s behavior “abhorrent.” Bass’s new comments come after she previously avoided commenting on the Wasserman controversy, saying last week that “any decision on the LA28 leadership must be made by the LA28 Board.” It’s unclear what prompted her about-face on Wasserman, who has raised millions of dollars during his decade-long bid to bring the games to the city. But the mogul has faced a mountain of public backlash, and a spate of client defections, since the massive trove of additional DoJ documents on Epstein were released on Jan. 30. A number of artists, including Chappell Roan and John Summit, have either left his agency already or threatened to leave if he didn’t resign. After previously saying he “deeply regrets” his past communication with Maxwell, he decided to put his agency up for sale last week amid the controversy, saying that he had “become a distraction” from his company’s operations. (Privately, sources say, he has blamed rival agents like Ari Emanuel for helping to fan the controversy that led to his departure from the company.) “I’m deeply sorry that my past personal mistakes have caused you so much discomfort,” he wrote in a statement to his 4,000-member staff. “It’s not fair to you, and it’s not fair to the clients and partners we represent so vigorously and care so deeply about.” Elsewhere in the memo, Wasserman said he’ll now be devoting his “full attention to delivering Los Angeles an Olympic Games in 2028 that is worthy of this outstanding city.” Aside from his decades-old ties to Maxwell, including emails dating back to 2003, Wasserman has maintained that he “never had a personal or business relationship with Jeffrey Epstein,” aside from a 2002 philanthropic flight to Africa on Epstein’s plane with Bill Clinton and others. Read More About: casey wasserman Epstein Files Karen Bass THR Newsletters Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day Subscribe Sign Up More from The Hollywood Reporter Podcast Industry Apple Podcasts Will Add Upgraded Video This Spring

Related Articles

📰

Akshaye Khanna or Nawazuddin Siddiqui to play villain in Tumbbad 2? Here’s what we know!

Few actors in Hindi cinema command the kind of quiet menace and psychological depth that Akshaye Khanna and Nawazuddin Siddiqui bring to morally complex roles. Whether it is Khanna’s recent turn as a formidable antagonist in Chhaava and his layered negative performance in Dhurandhar, or Siddiqui’s long-standing reputation for portraying unpredictable, grey-shaded characters, both actors have consistently elevated narratives with their intensity.It is perhaps no surprise, then, that industry chatter suggests their names are being actively discussed for the primary antagonist in Tumbbad 2. A Villain to Match the Myth According to a report by Mid-Day, the sequel hinges heavily on its negative lead. “A powerful antagonist is central to the narrative of Tumbbad 2. The team is keen on elevating the sequel with a layered and formidable negative lead,” the report quoted a source as saying. “Akshaye Khanna and Nawazuddin Siddiqui are two names currently being discussed. Their ability to portray morally complex, unpredictable characters makes them compelling choices for the world of Tumbbad.”The makers are reportedly looking for more than just a conventional villain. The aim is to craft a character who is psychologically dense and morally ambiguous — someone capable of standing toe-to-toe with Sohum Shah’s brooding presence in the expanding mythological universe.The speculation comes at a time when Tumbbad 2 is gaining significant momentum. After officially joining forces with Pen Studios, led by Jayantilal Gada, the sequel is being positioned as a large-scale cinematic venture. Originally released in 2018, Tumbbad evolved from a sleeper success into a cult phenomenon celebrated globally for its atmospheric storytelling rooted in greed and folklore. Its 2024 re-release further expanded its audience base.Also Read: EXCLUSIVE: Anand Gandhi opens up on Tumbbad 2: “NONE of the original creators, including me, are involved in the sequel; it’s HARD to see it as a true continuation…I hope it respects the sentiments of the fans”

Feb 17, 2026
📰

Ameesha Patel faces non-bailable warrant over alleged breach of contract case; Gadar 2 actress REACTS!

A court in Moradabad has issued a non-bailable warrant against Bollywood actor Ameesha Patel after she allegedly failed to appear despite multiple summons in connection with a 2017 breach of contract case. The order, reportedly, was passed by the court of the Additional Civil Judge (Junior Division), which is hearing a complaint filed by local event organiser Pawan Verma.According to the complaint, Verma — a resident of Double Phatak and owner of an event management firm — had booked Patel to perform at a wedding ceremony on November 16, 2017. The event was reportedly held for Ayush Agrawal in Moradabad.Verma claimed that an advance payment of Rs 14.50 lakhs was made to the actor for the appearance. He further stated that accommodation and meal arrangements were made for her at a hotel on Delhi Road in the city.However, Patel allegedly did not travel from Mumbai to attend the event on the scheduled date. Following the no-show, Verma claimed that the actor assured him the entire amount would be refunded. Payment Dispute and Legal Action In his submission before the court, Verma alleged that Rs 10 lakhs was returned in cash. The remaining Rs 4.50 lakh was issued through a cheque, which later bounced.After the cheque dishonour, Verma approached the court seeking legal remedy. The court subsequently issued multiple summons to Patel to appear in connection with the case. As she did not appear on the scheduled dates, the court has now issued a non-bailable warrant to secure her presence.The complainant has also alleged that the actor was attempting to evade legal proceedings. Defence Cites Settlement Responding to the development, Gadar 2 actress took to Instagram Stories, and said that the case is an “old and settled matter”, adding that her lawyers will now initiate criminal proceedings of cheating against Pawan Verma.“Media reports suggest about certain proceedings at Moradabad by one Pawan Verma. I wish to inform one and all that this is avv old matter which was years back in which the said Pawan Verma had signed a settlement deed and received the entire agreed amount,” Ameesha wrote.She added, “Despite this it seems he has lodged proceedings making false allegations. My lawyers are initiating appropriate criminal proceedings of cheating against this person to expose his lies while I prefer to focus on my work and ignore people who choose to make a public spectacle for gaining attention on false pretexts.”Also Read: 20 Years of Dosti: Friends Forever EXCLUSIVE: “Kareena Kapoor told me, ‘How can you and Akshay Kumar be doing a film WITHOUT me?’ I want to be a part of it’; Akshay finished his shoot in JUST 26 days; Ameesha Patel was keen to do the film” – Suneel Darshan

Feb 17, 2026
📰

Dhurandhar 2 shoot lands Aditya Dhar’s banner in trouble, BMC seeks permanent blacklisting: Report

The Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) has initiated strict action against filmmaker Aditya Dhar’s production banner, B62 Studios, over alleged violations during the Mumbai shoot of Dhurandhar: The Revenge. According to a report by The Indian Express, the civic body has recommended permanent blacklisting of the production house from seeking future filming permissions, citing repeated breaches of conditions.According to officials from the BMC’s A ward office, a letter has been sent to the Deputy Municipal Commissioner (Zone 1) proposing that B62 Studios be barred from applying for shooting permissions through the state-run portal managed by the Maharashtra Film, Stage and Cultural Development Corporation Limited. Alleged Violations During February Shoot The controversy stems from a shoot conducted between February 7 and 8 in South Mumbai, specifically between Modi Street and Perin Nariman Street in A ward. Permission for the schedule had been granted on January 30 through the state film corporation.However, authorities allege that the production team violated police conditions that explicitly prohibited the use of crackers and flammable materials on set.Following these alleged breaches, a subsequent application was submitted by Komal Pokhriyal seeking permission to shoot on February 13 and 14. Citing earlier violations, officials cancelled the request. Second Incident and Seizure of Torches A fresh application was later filed for filming between 12:30 am and 4:00 am on February 14. This time, conditional approval was granted after the applicants assured authorities that no flammable materials would be used.Despite this undertaking, police reportedly received complaints around 12:45 am on February 14 regarding the use of flammable torches during filming. A senior BMC official stated that civic officers reached the spot within 15 minutes and seized five lit torches from the location.After the second alleged violation, the applicants reportedly informed authorities that fire-related visuals would instead be created using visual effects (VFX). Proposed Penalties and Blacklisting In addition to recommending permanent blacklisting, the civic body has proposed a fine of Rs 1 lakh for allegedly shooting on a building terrace and deploying two generator vans without proper authorisation. The Rs 25,000 security deposit submitted by the applicant has also been forfeited.The A ward office has further sought approval to formally register the seized items and proceed with penalties against the applicants — Komal Pokhriyal, Nashir Khan — along with B62 Studios.If approved, the action would prevent the production house and named applicants from securing future filming permissions through the state film corporation portal.Also Read: Raveena Tandon on calling Yami Gautam after watching Dhurandhar:’Sorry, I am the biggest fan of your husband’

Feb 17, 2026
Jeff Tweedy Covers Cameron Winter’s “Love Takes Miles”

Jeff Tweedy Covers Cameron Winter’s “Love Takes Miles”

The Wilco frontman tackled the Heavy Metal song as a gift for his wife on Valentine’s Day

Feb 17, 2026
Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass Says Casey Wasserman Should Step Down as LA28 Chairman

Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass Says Casey Wasserman Should Step Down as LA28 Chairman

Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass says Casey Wasserman “should step down” from his role as chairman of the LA28 Olympic organizing committee that is driving the Summer Games given the tumult stirred by his appearance in the Epstein files. Bass has been a supporter of Wasserman’s in the past. But in an interview Monday with […]

Feb 17, 2026
Wasserman Loses LA Mayor’s Support For LA28 Job Over Epstein Files Revelations: “He Should Step Down”

Wasserman Loses LA Mayor’s Support For LA28 Job Over Epstein Files Revelations: “He Should Step Down”

Karen Bass can’t fire Casey Wasserman as the head of Los Angeles’ 2028 Olympic Games, but she wants the soon-to-be former agency boss out ASAP. “My opinion is, is that he should step down,” LA Mayor Bass said this Presidents’ Day on CNN. “That’s not the opinion of the board,” the reelection seeking incumbent added […]

Feb 17, 2026

Cookie Consent

We use cookies to enhance your browsing experience, analyze site traffic, and serve personalized ads. By clicking "Accept", you consent to our use of cookies. You can learn more about our cookie practices in our Privacy Policy.