President Emmanuel Macron will launch a government review of violent activist groups after a far-right student died from a beating in Lyon
President Emmanuel Macron will launch a government review of violent activist groups after a far-right student died from a beating in Lyon
NewsMacron orders review of violent activist groups after fatal beating of far-right activistPresident Emmanuel Macron will launch a government review of violent activist groups after a far-right student died from a beating in LyonNicolas Vaux-Montagny Saturday 21 February 2026 10:39 GMTBookmarkBookmark popoverRemoved from bookmarksClose popoverMacron orders review of violent activist groups after fatal beating of far-right activistShow all 2Your support helps us to tell the storyRead moreSupport NowFrom reproductive rights to climate change to Big Tech, The Independent is on the ground when the story is developing. Whether it's investigating the financials of Elon Musk's pro-Trump PAC or producing our latest documentary, 'The A Word', which shines a light on the American women fighting for reproductive rights, we know how important it is to parse out the facts from the messaging.At such a critical moment in US history, we need reporters on the ground. Your donation allows us to keep sending journalists to speak to both sides of the story.The Independent is trusted by Americans across the entire political spectrum. And unlike many other quality news outlets, we choose not to lock Americans out of our reporting and analysis with paywalls. We believe quality journalism should be available to everyone, paid for by those who can afford it.Your support makes all the difference.Read more French President Emmanuel Macron will hold meetings next week to review violent activist groups, after a far-right student died from a beating in Lyon in an incident that highlighted a climate of deep political tensions ahead of next year's presidential vote. Speaking at the Paris agriculture fair, Macron called on âeveryone to remain calmâ ahead of Saturday's tributes organized by far-right groups to Quentin Deranque, a 23-year-old who died of brain injuries in a hospital last week. The demonstrations will take place under heavy police scrutiny. âThis is a moment of remembrance and respect for this young compatriot who was killed, for his family and loved ones. That must come first. And then it is a moment of firmness and responsibility,â Macron said.Seven people have been handed preliminary charges. The Lyon public prosecutorâs office requested that each of them be charged with intentional homicide, aggravated violence and criminal conspiracy. Six of the accused were charged on all three counts. The seventh was charged with complicity in intentional homicide, aggravated violence and criminal conspiracy.Deranque was attacked during a fight that erupted between far-left and far-right supporters on the margins of a student meeting where a far-left lawmaker, Rima Hassan, was a keynote speaker.Macron said he will hold a meeting with ministers to carry out a comprehensive review of all violent activist groups that have links to political parties. He hinted that some groups could be dismantled.âIn the Republic, no violence is legitimate,â he said. âThere is no place for militias, wherever they come from. We must be absolutely uncompromising.â The main tribute to Deranque was scheduled later Saturday in Lyon, where clashes between far-right activists and far-left groups have become frequent. Lyonâs far-left-leaning militant groups are more recent and were created in reaction to the many far-right groups that have been present for several decades. The city is seen by intelligence services as the cradle of far-right activism in France.Deranqueâs parents have also called for calm and wonât take part in the tribute, which has not been banned by French authorities. Deranqueâs death triggered a storm of recriminations, mostly blaming France Unbowed and its leader Jean-Luc MĂ©lenchon. Among the suspects is the parliamentary aide of a France Unbowed lawmaker, RaphaĂ«l Arnault, who set up the anti-fascist group The Young Guard. France Unbowedâs opponents accuse it of fomenting violence and tensions with its combative far-left politics. MĂ©lenchon has condemned the violence and insisted that his party bore no blame for the tragedy.MĂ©lenchon stood for the presidency in 2012, 2017 and 2022, and failed to advance to the decisive runoff round. He is preparing for another expected run next year, when Macronâs second and last term ends.France is holding municipal elections next month and right-wing political forces have been using the incident to demonize France Unbowed. Far-right National Rally leader Jordan Bardella has called for a common front against MĂ©lenchon's party while criticism also came from prominent figures on the left. More aboutEmmanuel MacronFranceJean-Luc MĂ©lenchonLyonParisRepublicNational RallyMost popularPopular videosBulletinRead next