Latest News

Matthew McConaughey says apprehensions around AI won’t last: “There’s too much money to be made, and it’s too productive”

February 21, 2026 at 10:41 AM
By Poppy Burton
1 views
Matthew McConaughey says apprehensions around AI won’t last: “There’s too much money to be made, and it’s too productive”
The actor - who has been an investor in AI company ElevenLabs for many years - said his peers should trademark their voices and likeness, “so when it comes, no one can steal you" The post Matthew McConaughey says apprehensions around AI won’t last: “There’s too much money to be made, and it’s too productive” appeared first on NME.
The actor - who has been an investor in AI company ElevenLabs for many years - said his peers should trademark their voices and likeness, “so when it comes, no one can steal you" The post Matthew McConaughey says apprehensions around AI won’t last: “There’s too much money to be made, and it’s too productive” appeared first on NME. NewsFilm News Matthew McConaughey says apprehensions around AI won’t last: “There’s too much money to be made, and it’s too productive” The actor - who has been an investor in AI company ElevenLabs for many years - said his peers should trademark their voices and likeness, “so when it comes, no one can steal you" By Poppy Burton 21st February 2026 Matthew McConaughey, 2025. CREDIT: Rodin Eckenroth/Getty Images for SiriusXM Matthew McConaughey has predicted that moral apprehensions surrounding AI won’t last, because “there’s too much money to be made.” READ MORE: In the age of AI Oasis, there’s no point being ordinary During Variety and CNN’s recent town hall event at the University of Texas, the Oscar winner reunited with Interstellar co-star Timothée Chalamet and shed light on his move to trademark his infamous Dazed and Confused catchphrase. Advertisement As initially reported by The Wall Street Journal, McConaughey had eight applications approved by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office last month, with the trademarked works including a “seven-second clip of the Oscar-winner standing on a porch, a three-second clip of him sitting in front of a Christmas tree, and audio of him saying ‘Alright, alright, alright.’” Responding to a student’s question about the rise of AI, he said its presence was already undeniable. “It’s not going to be enough to sit on the sidelines and make the moral plea that, ‘No, this is wrong.’ “It’s not gonna last. There’s too much money to be made, and it’s too productive. So I say: Own yourself. Voice, likeness, et cetera. Trademark it. Whatever you gotta do, so when it comes, no one can steal you.” View this post on Instagram Many have since pointed out his vested interest and defence of AI could be financially motivated, after he recently revealed he’d been an investor in AI software development and speech synthesis company ElevenLabs “for several years now”. Recommended The company, best known for its AI-assisted text-to-speech software, has been criticised after its software was used to create controversial statements in the voices of celebrities, with a report from The Verge saying this ranged from light-hearted memes to erotica and hate speech, raising ethical concerns about deepfakes. “It’s been amazing to see the growth from those early days to where the company, and the technology, is now,” McConaughey said of the project at ElevenLabs’ inaugural summit earlier this month. “What’s remained constant is the extraordinary storytelling capabilities and creative potential that ElevenLabs unlocks – something that stood out to me from the start and that speaks to me as a professional storyteller.” A CNN & Variety Town Hall Event: Timothée Chalamet and Matthew McConaughey is set to air tonight (February 21) on CNN, and will see the two discuss the former’s performance in the Oscar-nominated Marty Supreme. Advertisement Timothée Chalamet in ‘Marty Supreme’. CREDIT: A24 Speaking to Chalamet during the town hall event, McConaughey referenced the film while giving an example of the AI scenarios he thought may be in store in the future. “They gotta come to you and go, ‘Timothée, I’d like you to be at my 50th birthday party in five months, and I’m gonna be in the Bahamas. I know you can’t be there in person, but I’m gonna halo you in, and I want you as your character in Marty Supreme,” he said. “They can do that, but they’re gonna have to come to you to go, ‘Can I?’ Or they’re going to be in breach. And you’ll have the chance to be your own agency and go, ‘Yeah, for this amount.’ Or, ‘No.’” Related TopicsAIMatthew McConaugheyTimothée Chalamet You May Also Like Advertisement TRENDING The NME 100: essential emerging artists for 2026 ‘Strip Law’ review: Netflix’s animated legal comedy is crude, silly and very funny Confessions of a GAME employee: “My Mario costume had a funky smell” Westside Cowboy’s fun-loving indie rock comes straight from the heart Shoegaze revivalists Glixen are noise-rock giants in the making Advertisement More Stories Music News Google gives Gemini the ability to make AI-generated music News ‘The Simpsons’ Bart actor Nancy Cartwright reassures fans she won’t be replaced by AI Music News Viral clip of Diplo as one of Bad Bunny’s Super Bowl bushes appears to be AI-generated Music News Chance The Rapper becomes spokesperson for AI company Gaming News Chappell Roan fans are loving “beautiful, anti-AI” ‘Fortnite’ collab video Film News ‘Lucy Letby’ Netflix doc uses “disturbing” AI actors to anonymise witnesses
Share:

Help us improve this article. Share your feedback and suggestions.

Related Articles

📰

‘Four Minus Three’ Wins Europa Cinemas Prize

Adrian Goiginger's true-life dramedy follows professional clowns struck by tragedy.

Feb 21, 2026
📰

Reliance’s Jio Studios pulls back anti-piracy case on Dhurandhar before Madras High Court

In a recent development, the Madras High Court has allowed Reliance Industries Limited to withdraw its commercial lawsuit concerning alleged piracy threats to the film Dhurandhar. The matter, titled Reliance Industries Limited vs BSNL, was taken up on February 18.The case was heard by Justice Senthilkumar Ramamoorthy, who recorded the withdrawal after counsel appearing for Reliance informed the Bench that instructions had been received from the client to discontinue the proceedings. In view of the submission, the Court dismissed the suit as withdrawn, without imposing any costs, and also closed the related interim applications.Reliance, through its media division Jio Studios, had initiated the commercial action under the provisions of the Copyright Act, 1957. The objective was to secure permanent injunctions aimed at preventing unauthorised online circulation and cable transmission of Dhurandhar. The plea was in the nature of a pre-release anti-piracy measure, a remedy frequently pursued by film producers ahead of a theatrical launch.A broad spectrum of entities had been named as defendants in the matter. These included telecom service providers, internet intermediaries and cable distribution networks such as Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL), MTNL, Bharti Airtel, Vodafone Idea, Tata Communications, Sify Technologies, Hathway, GTPL Hathway, Asianet Satellite Communications and Spectra ISP Networks, along with several regional cable operators.Among the directions sought, Reliance had requested that internet and telecom intermediaries be instructed to block access to websites found hosting infringing copies of the film, upon receiving notice of such violations. The company had also asked for prohibition orders restraining cable operators and other platforms from facilitating cam-recording, duplication, broadcast, distribution or transmission of the film through cable television, DTH services, satellite systems, internet platforms or storage devices.Earlier, on December 5, the Court had granted interim protection, restraining service providers and cable operators from airing or enabling access to pirated versions of the film.However, when the matter was listed again on February 18, Reliance’s counsel conveyed the decision to withdraw the suit and made a formal endorsement to that effect. The Court subsequently passed a brief order recording the withdrawal and closing the proceedings. The judicial order did not specify any reasons for the company’s decision to step back from the case.Reliance was represented in the matter by Advocate S. Deepak, instructed by PK Law Firm.Meanwhile, the team of Dhurandhar is currently gearing up for the release of the second part of the film Dhurandhar – The Revenge. While the trailer launch is expected to be held within a few weeks, the film will hit cinemas on March 19.Also Read: Ranveer Singh returns as ‘Lyari King’ in Dhurandhar 2; insiders say his presence adds “gravitas” to the sequel

Feb 21, 2026
Blood Orange’s Rally Festival in London reveals stacked line-up

Blood Orange’s Rally Festival in London reveals stacked line-up

Smerz, Daniel Avery and James K are among those set to perform at the Southwark festival this August The post Blood Orange’s Rally Festival in London reveals stacked line-up appeared first on NME.

Feb 21, 2026
What Happened to Xbox President Sarah Bond? Amid Phil Spencer's Retirement and Asha Sharma's Promotion, Long-Term Protégé Resigns

What Happened to Xbox President Sarah Bond? Amid Phil Spencer's Retirement and Asha Sharma's Promotion, Long-Term Protégé Resigns

As the dust settles on Microsoft's dramatic changes at the top of its gaming team, fans are digesting the shock resignation of Xbox President Sarah Bond, after nearly a decade working on the console brand.

Feb 21, 2026
Conan O’Brien says he was “in shock” after Rob Reiner was found dead hours after attending his holiday party

Conan O’Brien says he was “in shock” after Rob Reiner was found dead hours after attending his holiday party

Publicly addressing their deaths for the first time, he said there was no other word but "awful" to describe the loss The post Conan O’Brien says he was “in shock” after Rob Reiner was found dead hours after attending his holiday party appeared first on NME.

Feb 21, 2026
📰

Ranbir Kapoor leases five floors in Andheri for 20 years to revive RK Studios

Bollywood star Ranbir Kapoor and his family are taking a major step toward reviving their cinematic legacy by leasing five floors in a commercial complex in Andheri East, Mumbai, for 20 years to establish a new iteration of the legendary RK Studios. The development, reported by multiple outlets, signals a significant return for a brand that once defined Hindi cinema.The original RK Studios, founded by Ranbir’s grandfather, the late “Showman” Raj Kapoor — was located in Chembur but was sold in 2018 after a devastating fire and mounting maintenance challenges. This new lease is seen as a bold attempt to bring the prestige and infrastructure of the studio back to life in a modern setting. According to industry reports, the five-floor space at Kanakia Wall Street will be transformed into a cutting-edge production and creative hub. Plans include soundstages equipped for virtual production, editing and post-production suites, screening rooms, VFX facilities and dedicated offices for the Kapoor family’s creative and administrative teams. The project reportedly also plans for hospitality areas and archival storage to house extensive RK memorabilia and film history.While financial terms of the lease have not been disclosed, sources suggest that operations could begin as early as mid-2026, contingent on final clearances and approvals. The facility is expected to host multiple film and advertising shoots simultaneously, making it a competitive entrant among Mumbai’s production spaces.The revival comes amid broader speculation about Ranbir Kapoor’s creative ambitions, with insiders hinting that the new studio could serve as the base for his future directorial ventures. Industry observers see the move as not only a tribute to RK Studios’ storied past but also a strategic investment in the future of Indian cinema.Also Read: Ranbir Kapoor’s ‘Dad’ moment with Raha steals attention as Alia Bhatt joins Neetu at a wedding

Feb 21, 2026

Cookie Consent

We use cookies to enhance your browsing experience, analyze site traffic, and serve personalized ads. By clicking "Accept", you consent to our use of cookies. You can learn more about our cookie practices in our Privacy Policy.