Latest News

MHA aware of reports that 2 Singaporeans fought in Gaza for IDF, is unable to verify claims

February 19, 2026 at 11:00 AM
By The Straits Times
The data details how many IDF service members held dual and multiple nationalities as at March 2025.

Analysis & Context

The data details how many IDF service members held dual and multiple nationalities as at March 2025. MHA aware of reports that 2 Singaporeans fought in Gaza for IDF, is unable to verify claims. Stay informed with the latest developments and expert analysis on this important story.
The data details how many IDF service members held dual and multiple nationalities as at March 2025. MHA aware of reports that 2 Singaporeans fought in Gaza for IDF, is unable to verify claimsSign up now: Get ST's newsletters delivered to your inboxThe data details how many IDF service members held dual and multiple nationalities as at March 2025.PHOTO: REUTERSDaniel LaiandBNB DiviyadhaarshiniPublished Feb 19, 2026, 07:00 PMUpdated Feb 19, 2026, 07:07 PMSINGAPORE – The Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) said it is aware of a foreign news report stating that two Singaporeans were among those who fought for the Israel Defence Forces (IDF) during the conflict in Gaza. However, the MHA told The Straits Times: “MHA does not have any substantiated information at this point that any Singaporean is/was fighting as part of the IDF.” It was responding to queries ST sent regarding a Feb 11 report published by British investigative journalism outlet Declassified UK. Declassified UK said that data from the IDF showed that more than “50,000 IDF soldiers with Israeli and at least one other nationality” had taken part in the conflict.The report indicated that two Singapore passport holders were among them – one Singapore national who was listed as having Israeli citizenship, and another who was listed as holding multiple citizenships.The report did not specify the roles these Singapore citizenship holders purportedly held, nor how long they held these roles for.The Declassified UK article, titled Over 2,000 Britons Served For Israel Amid Gaza Genocide, said the data was obtained via a Freedom of Information request to the IDF by Mr Elad Man, a lawyer with Israeli non-governmental organisation Hatzlacha.The cover page of the Israel Defence Forces’ response to Declassified UK. The report did not specify what role the Singapore passport holders reportedly held.PHOTO: SCREENGRAB FROM DECLASSIFIED UKThe data details how many IDF service members held dual and multiple nationalities as at March 2025, adding that the largest cohorts come from the United States, Russia, Ukraine, France and Germany.The issue came to light when former Senior Parliamentary Secretary for Home Affairs Amrin Amin pointed to a report on the matter in Al Jazeera in a Facebook post late on Feb 18 and said the development is “concerning and needs clarification”. He noted: “Under Singapore law, citizens and permanent residents cannot serve in a foreign armed force without proper authorisation. “The Government has also made clear that Singaporeans should not take up arms in other people’s wars. And there’s also the dual nationality point that Singapore generally does not allow.”He also expressed confidence that the Singapore authorities would handle the matter thoroughly and fairly.In March 2022, amid the Russia-Ukraine conflict, MHA had made it clear that it was illegal for Singaporeans to take up arms for a foreign force. Those who try to do so can be imprisoned for life, or up to 15 years. They can also be fined.Under the Singapore Constitution, a person may hold more than one citizenship if they are younger than 21 years old. Afterwards, they will have to decide whether to renounce their Singapore citizenship.The Gaza war was sparked by Hamas’ Oct 7, 2023, attack on southern Israel.According to Palestinian Health Ministry data, Israel’s air and ground assault in Gaza has killed more than 72,000 people since then.The Straits Times has contacted the Israeli Embassy in Singapore for comment.More on this topicS’pore has zero tolerance against those planning to join foreign conflicts: ShanmugamaskST: Can S’poreans join protests overseas? Daniel Lai is a journalist at the ST Now team, covering breaking news and international affairs.See more onIsraelGazaIsrael-PalestineWars and conflictsMinistry of Home Affairs

Related Articles

PNP urges stronger LGU, community ties vs illegal cigarette trade 

PNP urges stronger LGU, community ties vs illegal cigarette trade 

MANILA, Philippines – Philippine National Police (PNP) chief Gen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Thursday ordered a closer coordination with local government units and communities to target warehouses and properties suspected of housing smuggled or illegally manufactured cigarettes. Crucial intelligence against criminal activities often comes from the grassroots, particularly barangay officials and local residents, Nartatez

Feb 19, 2026
Indian cricket umpire dies after bees swarm local match

Indian cricket umpire dies after bees swarm local match

Another umpire and 15-20 players injured in attack

Feb 19, 2026
Mikel Arteta says Arsenal sticking together after Wolves draw dents title hopes

Mikel Arteta says Arsenal sticking together after Wolves draw dents title hopes

Manchester City sit five points behind Arsenal with a game in hand, with a meeting between the two sides to take place in April

Feb 19, 2026
Inside Royal Lodge: Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s home for 22 years as police search properties after his arrest

Inside Royal Lodge: Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s home for 22 years as police search properties after his arrest

The former prince has since relocated to the smaller Wood Farm on the Sandringham estate, which is privately funded by King Charles

Feb 19, 2026
đź“°

India AI summit: Modi, Macron call for guardrails amid AI boom

India's Prime Minister Narendra Modi, French President Emmanuel Macron and others struck a careful balance on artificial intelligence. Meanwhile, Microsoft cofounder Bill Gates canceled his appearance at the summit.

Feb 19, 2026
Green group calls for action after Hong Kong campsites packed

Green group calls for action after Hong Kong campsites packed

A green group has called for long-term measures to tackle overtourism in Hong Kong’s scenic Sai Kung district after the number of tents at a campsite reached more than nine times its capacity on the second day of Lunar New Year, although authorities described the situation as “under control”. Greenpeace said on Thursday that it had counted 585 tents at the Ham Tin Wan and Sai Wan campsites the previous day, far exceeding the designated capacity of 50 at each location. Ham Tin Wan had 450 tents...

Feb 19, 2026

Cookie Consent

We use cookies to enhance your browsing experience, analyze site traffic, and serve personalized ads. By clicking "Accept", you consent to our use of cookies. You can learn more about our cookie practices in our Privacy Policy.