Latest News

Philippines VP Sara Duterte announces 2028 presidential run

February 18, 2026 at 06:56 AM
By Deutsche Welle
Philippine Vice President Sara Duterte has announced she's running for president in 2028. The move comes as she faces new impeachment attempts that could ban her from political office if convicted.

Analysis & Context

Philippine Vice President Sara Duterte has announced she's running for president in 2028. The move comes as she faces new impeachment attempts that could ban her from political office if convicted. Philippines VP Sara Duterte announces 2028 presidential run. Stay informed with the latest developments and expert analysis on this important story.
Philippine Vice President Sara Duterte has announced she's running for president in 2028. The move comes as she faces new impeachment attempts that could ban her from political office if convicted. PoliticsPhilippinesPhilippines VP Sara Duterte announces 2028 presidential runMahima Kapoor with AFP and Reuters02/18/2026February 18, 2026Philippine Vice President Sara Duterte has announced she's running for president in 2028. The move comes as she faces new impeachment attempts that could ban her from political office if convicted.https://p.dw.com/p/58wiwSara Duterte, who is 47 years old, has clashed frequently and spectacularly with currrent leader Ferdinand Marcos Jnr.Image: Basilio Sepe/AP Photo/picture allianceAdvertisementPhilippine Vice President Sara Duterte said Wednesday she would seek the presidency in the 2028 elections, setting the stage for an early start to the race in the Southeast Asian nation of 116 million people. "I am Sara Duterte. I will run for president of the Philippines," she said in a brief televised speech. "I offer my life, my strength, and my future in the service of our nation," she added. Duterte is the daughter of the former president Rodrigo Duterte, who is currently detained at the International Criminal Court in The Hagueon charges of crimes against humanity over a brutal antidrugs crackdown that left thousands of his citizens dead over the course of his presidency. Sara Duterte's bitter fued with current leader Bongbong MarcsĆ­s Sara Duterte made the announcement that she was going to run for office in 2028 in a televised speech, where she took aim at current leader Ferdinand "Bongbong" Marcos Jr. for the country's problems, including corruption. "In the first few months of our terms, I already saw Bongbong Marcos Jr.'s lack of sincerity regarding the promises made during the campaign, as well as his sworn duty to the nation," the vice president said, using Marcos's nickname. Sara Duterte was impeached last year before that case was shelved on a range of accusations including plotting to assissinate current leader Ferdinand Marcos Jr. (File photo: 2024)Image: Kyodo/picture alliance Duterte apologized for helping Marcos win the 2022 election when she ran as the vice presidential running mate and helped him tap in her family's huge support base. But their alliance has since descended into a bitter political rift, with both having mounted personal attacks on each other as they remain split on policy differences. Marcos has boosted defense ties with his country's treaty ally, the US, while the vice president's father, Rodrigo Duterte, nurtured cozy relations with China and Russia during his stormy term that ended in 2022. Duterte's announcement comes as she faces another round of impeachment attempt Political analysts said the timing of Sara Duterte's announcement appeared strategic, coming as she faces another round of impeachment complaints accusing her of betraying the public's trust, corruption and other crimes. She survived similar efforts last year. Under the Philippine constitution, an impeachment triggers a senate trial. A guilty verdict in the trial would see a candidate banned from running for political office. Meanwhile, just days ago, a pair of impeachment complaints against incumbent leader Marcos was thrown out by the House of Representatives justice committee. The constitution also allows a president only one term of six years, which means Marcos cannot seek reelection. Edited by: Roshni Majumdar Mahima Kapoor Digital journalist based in New Delhi@MahimaKapoor12Send us your feedbackYour feedbackAdvertisement

Related Articles

Mayon Volcano emits 3,217 tonnes of sulfur dioxide in 24 hours

Mayon Volcano emits 3,217 tonnes of sulfur dioxide in 24 hours

LEGAZPI CITY ā€“ Mild to moderate eruptions were recorded at the summit crater of Mayon Volcano, the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) reported on Wednesday. Phivolcs said the activity was recorded from 7:34 p.m. to 8:35 p.m. Tuesday with continuous lava effusion. Lava effusion and flows have reached radial distances from the crater, as

Feb 18, 2026
Surprise as shark caught on camera in Antarctica’s near-freezing deep for the first time

Surprise as shark caught on camera in Antarctica’s near-freezing deep for the first time

A marine researcher has video evidence of a shark in the Antarctic Ocean

Feb 18, 2026
Mark Zuckerberg to testify in watershed trial about impact of social media on children

Mark Zuckerberg to testify in watershed trial about impact of social media on children

Zuckerberg to give evidence in trial about addictiveness of Meta’s platforms

Feb 18, 2026
South Korea signals cautious support for Trump’s ā€˜Board of Peace’ by attending as observer

South Korea signals cautious support for Trump’s ā€˜Board of Peace’ by attending as observer

South Korea will take part as an observer in the inaugural meeting of the US-led ā€œBoard of Peaceā€, dispatching a former envoy to Thursday’s session in Washington, according to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. ā€œKim Yong-hyun, former ambassador to Egypt, will attend the inaugural meeting of the Board of Peace scheduled for February 19, as the South Korean representative,ā€ the ministry said in a statement on Wednesday. A ministry official said that South Korea would attend as a non-member observer...

Feb 18, 2026
šŸ“°

Anti-trans activist wins fight against e-safety watchdog over queer school club tweet

A Federal Court ruling opens the door to legal challenges against hundreds of decisions made each year by Australia’s eSafety commissioner.

Feb 18, 2026
šŸ“°

Hillary Clinton accuses Trump administration of a ā€˜cover-up’ over its handling of Epstein documents

Former US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has accused the Trump administration of a ā€œcontinuing cover-upā€ in the way it has handled the release of millions of documents relating to Jeffrey Epstein. ā€œThey are slow-walking it, they are redacting the names of men who are in it, they are stonewalling legitimate requests from members of … The post Hillary Clinton accuses Trump administration of a ā€˜cover-up’ over its handling of Epstein documents appeared first on Egypt Independent.

Feb 18, 2026

Cookie Consent

We use cookies to enhance your browsing experience, analyze site traffic, and serve personalized ads. By clicking "Accept", you consent to our use of cookies. You can learn more about our cookie practices in our Privacy Policy.