Latest News

Protests and power: How violence in Sydney streets put a premier under pressure

February 20, 2026 at 11:40 PM
By Sydney Morning Herald
Chris Minns presents as the Mr Nice Guy of NSW politics, but fractures among Labor ranks have some party faithfuls questioning who he wants to keep onside.
Chris Minns presents as the Mr Nice Guy of NSW politics, but fractures among Labor ranks have some party faithfuls questioning who he wants to keep onside. AdvertisementNSW State ParliamentProtests and power: How violence in Sydney streets put a premier under pressureBy Alexandra Smith and Jessica McSweeneyFebruary 21, 2026Fallout from the protest at Town Hall has put NSW Premier Chris Minns under pressure.Photos: Jessica Hromas; artwork: Monique WestermannSaveYou have reached your maximum number of saved items.Remove items from your saved list to add more.ShareAAAFirst he shared a prestigious award with his supposed nemesis, Dominic Perrottet, for civility in an election campaign. Then he extended invites to former NSW Liberal leaders to cut the ribbon on the metro, the brainchild of the Coalition.Now Chris Minns heaps praise on Opposition Leader Kellie Sloane for her handling of the Bondi massacre at every opportunity. The NSW premier is, by all accounts, Mr Nice Guy.Yet, with a little over a year until the next state election, rank-and-file Labor members are wondering who he wants to keep onside. The party faithful are not convinced it is them.The handling of last Monday’s CBD protest, organised by serial activist Josh Lees against the visit of Israeli President Isaac Herzog, has exposed the simmering discontent among some in the Labor Party as well as several trade unions, who are outraged at what they see as the premier’s draconian erosion of civil liberties.Premier Chris Minns, with former transport minister Jo Haylen (right) welcomed former Liberal premiers Dominic Perrottet (left) and Mike Baird (second left) to open the city metro line.Dean SewellFour so-called rogue Labor backbenchers attended the anti-Herzog protest, which resulted in 10 people being charged after chaotic scenes broke out, and Minns has sought to paint the MPs as outliers who are not in the tent. But those MPs, two from the Left and two from Minns’ Right faction, are not alone.On Friday, the South Coast Labour Council summoned their six local MPs, which include Health Minister Ryan Park and Planning Minister Paul Scully, to a “please explain” meeting. Only Anna Watson, MP for Shellharbour, turned up.AdvertisementThe meeting came after the Maritime Union of Australia’s southern NSW branch wrote to the council demanding an explanation from local MPs, and condemned the premier’s defence of police actions “in the strongest possible terms”.Related ArticleExclusiveProtestsSenior officer agreed to let prayer go ahead before violent Sydney protest scenes“The totally reprehensible sign of burly NSW Police officers pepper-spraying and aggressively manhandling women and elderly people that posed no credible threat to them was particularly galling and cannot be acceptable in Australian society,” MUA branch secretary Scott Carter wrote.“Minns is no Gough Whitlam,” says South Coast Labour Council secretary Arthur Rorris, who said “bashing union veterans and grannies” at rallies would not motivate the Labor faithful to work the booths at election time.“Wollongong can be a tough place for Labor politicians at the best of times, and workers and their unions have this strange expectation that our Labor leaders are put there to help us, not smash us.”The premier has made his disdain for Lees and the Palestine Action Group’s protest efforts well known. Last year, Minns publicly insisted a march across the Harbour Bridge should not go ahead, before the NSW Police had even filed a court challenge.Minns would not allow protesters to shut down the city’s “central artery”, he insisted, citing safety concerns. Multiple MPs, including senior ministers Jihad Dib and Penny Sharpe, defied their boss and marched with up to 300,000 people anyway, making internal disagreements over the handling of pro-Palestine protests clear.AdvertisementIn late December, Minns linked the protests to rising antisemitic hatred in the community as justification for crackdowns after the Bondi massacre. Hateful words lead to actions, he said, and vowed to outlaw the phrase “globalise the intifada”.In the months since, some protesters, including former Australian of the Year Grace Tame, have continued to use the phrase.Minns’ latest crackdown on the ability to protest included legislating to restrict marches after a terrorism event and declaring the visit of Herzog a major event, triggering extra police powers to move on protesters.Police faced backlash after Muslims bowed in prayer were forcibly moved on after the Town Hall rally.@beastfromthe_middleeastThe morning after the chaotic scenes at Town Hall, when vision of police punching and charging at protesters were being spread like wildfire on social media, the premier did not deviate from his staunch defence of police officers.The clips did not show the full context, Minns stressed, and officers were faced with exceptional circumstances trying to prevent the unruly protesters from clashing with mourners at Herzog’s nearby event. The Law Enforcement Conduct Commission is now investigating the actions of police.The biggest political headache for the premier, however, has come not from
Share:

Help us improve this article. Share your feedback and suggestions.

Related Articles

Recto’s call to Matibag: Strengthen NBI’s crime-fighting role

Recto’s call to Matibag: Strengthen NBI’s crime-fighting role

MANILA, Philippines — Executive Secretary Ralph Recto has called on National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) Director Melvin Matibag to strengthen the agency’s role in fighting crime and securing justice, while also thanking outgoing acting director Angelito “Lito” Magno for his service. Recto’s statement came after Matibag took his oath as NBI director at Malacañang on

Feb 21, 2026
đź“°

Speed skater suffers gruesome facial injury

Polish speed skater Kamila Sellier had to be helped from the ice after she was slashed in the face by a rivals skate in the women's 1500m quarter final.

Feb 21, 2026
 LDP OKs draft proposal for lifting ban on lethal arms exports

LDP OKs draft proposal for lifting ban on lethal arms exports

The LDP plans to finalize the proposal soon and submit it to the government, which will aim to revise the defense equipment transfer guidelines in spring at the earliest.

Feb 21, 2026
Looking back: The five publicly named victims in Duterte’s ICC case

Looking back: The five publicly named victims in Duterte’s ICC case

MANILA, Philippines — At 5 p.m. Philippine time on February 23, the International Criminal Court will open its confirmation of charges hearing against former President Rodrigo Roa Duterte before Pre-Trial Chamber I in The Hague. “The hearing is scheduled on 23, 24, 26, and 27 February 2026 in Courtroom I. The Prosecution, the Defence, and

Feb 21, 2026
How the next China shock is shaping hearts and minds

How the next China shock is shaping hearts and minds

For decades, China’s role in the global economy was easy to define. It made things cheaply and at astonishing scale. “Made in China” became shorthand for industrial capacity. It was often contentious, sometimes admired, sometimes feared. In the years after China joined the World Trade Organization, its firms were deeply embedded in global supply chains, mostly at the lower end of the value chain. They produced for others. Western and Japanese companies controlled the premium segments and brand...

Feb 21, 2026

Cookie Consent

We use cookies to enhance your browsing experience, analyze site traffic, and serve personalized ads. By clicking "Accept", you consent to our use of cookies. You can learn more about our cookie practices in our Privacy Policy.