Latest News

Stephen Colbert Says CBS Blocked Him From Interviewing Senate Hopeful Over FCC Equal Time Fears

February 17, 2026 at 12:44 PM
By Alex Weprin
Colbert and 'The Late Show' posted the interview with James Talarico on the show's YouTube page to bypass the FCC's oversight.

Analysis & Context

Colbert and 'The Late Show' posted the interview with James Talarico on the show's YouTube page to bypass the FCC's oversight. Stephen Colbert Says CBS Blocked Him From Interviewing Senate Hopeful Over FCC Equal Time Fears. Stay informed with the latest developments and expert analysis on this important story.
Colbert and 'The Late Show' posted the interview with James Talarico on the show's YouTube page to bypass the FCC's oversight. 'The Late Show With Stephen Colbert' earlier this month. Scott Kowalchyk/CBS Share on Facebook Share on X Google Preferred Share to Flipboard Show additional share options Share on LinkedIn Share on Pinterest Share on Reddit Share on Tumblr Share on Whats App Send an Email Print the Article Post a Comment The FCC‘s proposed changes to the equal time rules for TV talk shows is officially taking its toll on late night. CBS‘ Late Show host Stephen Colbert says that lawyers for the network blocked him from interviewing Democratic U.S. Senate hopeful James Talarico, citing the FCC’s new guidance for political candidates on talk shows. Colbert opened his show Monday by explaining the situation. “You know who is not one of my guests tonight: That’s Texas State Representative James Talarico. He was supposed to be here, but we were told in no uncertain terms by our network’s lawyers, who called us directly, that we could not have him on the broadcast,” Colbert told the audience. “Then I was told in some uncertain terms that not only could I not have him on, I could not mention me not having him on, and because my network clearly doesn’t want us to talk about this, let’s talk about this.” Related Stories TV The Missing Legends of 'Survivor 50': Castaways Reveal the Icons They Thought They'd Face Business Trump Says Nexstar-Tegna Merger Will "Knock Out the Fake News," FCC Chair Says "Let's Get It Done" Colbert went on to explain the FCC equal time guidance change, citing The Hollywood Reporter’s story on the matter and noting that historically talk shows like his (and ABC’s Jimmy Kimmel Live and The View) had been exempt from the equal time rules, going back some 30 years. “In his letter, Carr said he was thinking about dropping the exception for talk shows because he said some of them were motivated by partisan purposes. Well, sir, you’re chairman of the FCC, so FCC U because I think you are motivated by partisan purposes yourself, sir,” Colbert said. “Smelt it because you dealt it. You are Dutch ovening America’s airwaves. Let’s just call this what it is. Donald Trump’s administration wants to silence anyone who says anything bad about Trump on TV, because all Trump does is watch TV.” Watch: The FCC has reportedly opened an investigation into ABC and The View over its own interview with Talerico, who is pursuing the U.S. Senate seat in Texas currently held by John Cornyn. Another Democrat, Jasmine Crockett, is also running for the nomination, with Ken Paxton and Wesley Hunt challenging Cornyn on the Republican side. Colbert then showed a clip of Carr explaining that if talk shows want to have on political candidates, they can do so only if they are not shown on broadcast TV. “I decided to take Brendan Carr’s advice. I am going to interview James Talarico tonight, but it’s not going to be on The Late Show, it’s going to be on the Late Show’s YouTube page,” Colbert told the audience. “The Network says, I can’t give you a URL or a QR code, but I promise you, if you go to our YouTube page, you’ll find it.” You can watch the interview below: “This is the party that ran against cancel culture, and now they’re trying to control what we watch, what we say, what we read, and this is the most dangerous kind of cancel culture, the kind that comes from the top,” Talarico told Colbert. “They went after The View because I went on there. They went after Jimmy Kimmel for telling a joke they didn’t like. They went after you for telling the truth about Paramount’s bribe to Donald Trump.” It is worth noting that CBS has already canceled The Late Show, which will have its final episode in May. CBS’ parent company Paramount is also engaged in a pursuit of Warner Bros. Discovery, trying to pry it away from a signed deal with Netflix, and has premised its argument to shareholders on a speedy regulatory approval process. Read More About: cbs FCC Late Show Stephen Colbert THR Newsletters Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day Subscribe Sign Up More from The Hollywood Reporter Live Feed ‘Tell Me Lies’ Ending With Season 3 Finale

Related Articles

📰

Netflix Un-Cancels Gina Carano for MMA Fight With Ronda Rousey

The streaming giant's first-ever live mixed martial arts card marks five years from Carano's Disney+ firing.

Feb 17, 2026
📰

Best Picture Oscar Winners of the 21st Century, Ranked

From Gladiator to Anora — our rankings of every film to take home the top Oscar since the year 2000, from worst to best

Feb 17, 2026
Series Creators Push Back as the Industry Gets ‘Nervous’ About Important Stories and Female Perspective: ‘The Content Might Be Different Enough to Actually Make a Difference’

Series Creators Push Back as the Industry Gets ‘Nervous’ About Important Stories and Female Perspective: ‘The Content Might Be Different Enough to Actually Make a Difference’

The industry is getting “nervous about telling important stories.” “It’s becoming extremely safe,” said Andri Omársson, CEO of the Icelandic production company Glassriver.“The line I always get is that ‘the news is horrifying to watch, so our productions should be entertaining and glossy.’ In Iceland, we are telling non-English stories, which makes it even harder [
]

Feb 17, 2026
Microsoft Announces Xbox Game Pass February 2026 Wave 2 Lineup, Including Witcher 3 and Kingdom Come Deliverance 2

Microsoft Announces Xbox Game Pass February 2026 Wave 2 Lineup, Including Witcher 3 and Kingdom Come Deliverance 2

Microsoft has announced the Xbox Game Pass February 2026 Wave 2 lineup, which includes big hitters such as The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt plus Kingdom Come: Deliverance 2.

Feb 17, 2026
📰

Rajpal Yadav secures bail; lawyer says legal battle over 2010 film deal was “layered and confusing”

Actor Rajpal Yadav was granted bail on Monday in connection with an ongoing financial dispute linked to his 2010 production venture. Speaking to Mumbai Mirror shortly after the court’s decision, his lawyer Bhaskar Upadhyay said that obtaining relief was a challenging process.According to Upadhyay, the case traces back more than a decade and revolves around contractual arrangements tied to a film project produced by Yadav. Over the years, he explained, several agreements were executed, followed by a consent decree and additional legal proceedings, ultimately resulting in what he described as a complicated and multi-layered matter.Commenting on his client’s understanding of the situation, Upadhyay said, "He is not a lawyer; he doesn't understand technicalities. He is an actor, a family man. Whenever the court asked, he simply said, Whatever I owe, I will pay," he shared, adding, "He himself had a lot at stake in that project. It's not like he walked away unaffected," Upadhyay said.The lawyer further alleged that the complainant was intent on seeking imprisonment rather than financial recovery. "If it was only about money, they could have taken the security. But there was a malicious intent. The complainant said that 'We don't want this and just kindly execute the decree by sending him in jail'. This was categorically said by the complainants. If it was the issue of a money only then they must have taken the surety. He had given his original property documents. He surrendered it before the court stating the value of my property is more than 40 crores," he said.Upadhyay also confirmed that part of the outstanding amount has already been arranged. He stated that Rs 2.5 crore has been mobilised towards the total sum under consideration. "He is trying, within his capacity, to honour what he has committed," he said, adding, "For him he was in the impression that that money was 5 crores. He has to pay back 5 crores. He never disputed that amount. But he just wanted the code to clarify. What about that money? Because this 5 crores was invested by the complainant in that movie, not given a personal loan to him for his personal needs."There has also been speculation within industry circles that members of the film fraternity have extended assistance. While refraining from naming individuals, Upadhyay acknowledged the support. "Many are helping in his odd hours. The specifics are for him to share when the time is right," he said.Despite the legal challenges, the lawyer maintained that Yadav remains composed. "He is strong. He says he will comply with court directions. His only request is that his side be properly heard," Upadhyay said.Also Read: Rajpal Yadav gets temporary relief: Delhi High Court grants bail in Rs. 9 crores cheque bounce case to attend family wedding

Feb 17, 2026
Tobias Nölle Returns to Berlinale Panorama With Hybrid Island Portrait ‘Tristan Forever’

Tobias Nölle Returns to Berlinale Panorama With Hybrid Island Portrait ‘Tristan Forever’

A decade after “Aloys” won the Fipresci Prize at the Berlin Festival’s Panorama, Swiss filmmaker Tobias Nölle returns to the section with “Tristan Forever,” a meditative, genre-elusive hybrid that tracks a French doctor’s 30-year obsession with Tristan da Cunha, the world’s most isolated inhabited island, and his bid to settle there permanently. Produced by Hugofilm [
]

Feb 17, 2026

Cookie Consent

We use cookies to enhance your browsing experience, analyze site traffic, and serve personalized ads. By clicking "Accept", you consent to our use of cookies. You can learn more about our cookie practices in our Privacy Policy.