Latest News

TSA says PreCheck ‘remains operational’ after DHS said it was ending program during shutdown

February 22, 2026 at 06:02 PM
By Josh Marcus
TSA says PreCheck ‘remains operational’ after DHS said it was ending program during shutdown
The Trump administration previously said it was suspending the expedited check-in program as part of ‘emergency measures to preserve limited funds’ during the ongoing partial government shutdown

💡Analysis & Context

The Trump administration previously said it was suspending the expedited check-in program as part of ‘emergency measures to preserve limited funds’ du The Trump administration previously said it was suspending the expedited check-in program as part of ‘emergency measures to preserve limited funds’ du Monitor developments in TSA for further updates.

📋 Quick Summary

The Trump administration previously said it was suspending the expedited check-in program as part of

The Trump administration previously said it was suspending the expedited check-in program as part of ‘emergency measures to preserve limited funds’ during the ongoing partial government shutdown NewsWorldAmericasTSA says PreCheck ‘remains operational’ after DHS said it was ending program during shutdownThe Trump administration previously said it was suspending the expedited check-in program as part of ‘emergency measures to preserve limited funds’ during the ongoing partial government shutdownJosh Marcus in San Francisco Sunday 22 February 2026 18:02 GMTBookmarkCommentsGo to commentsBookmark popoverRemoved from bookmarksClose popoverTSA PreCheck temporarily suspendedYour support helps us to tell the storyRead moreSupport NowFrom reproductive rights to climate change to Big Tech, The Independent is on the ground when the story is developing. Whether it's investigating the financials of Elon Musk's pro-Trump PAC or producing our latest documentary, 'The A Word', which shines a light on the American women fighting for reproductive rights, we know how important it is to parse out the facts from the messaging.At such a critical moment in US history, we need reporters on the ground. Your donation allows us to keep sending journalists to speak to both sides of the story.The Independent is trusted by Americans across the entire political spectrum. And unlike many other quality news outlets, we choose not to lock Americans out of our reporting and analysis with paywalls. We believe quality journalism should be available to everyone, paid for by those who can afford it.Your support makes all the difference.Read moreThe popular TSA PreCheck program will continue to function at U.S. airports during the partial government shutdown, officials announced on Sunday, despite the Trump administration previously saying the expedited check-in program would be paused.“At this time, TSA PreCheck remains operational with no change for the traveling public,” the Transportation Security Administration wrote in a statement on X. “As staffing constraints arise, TSA will evaluate on a case by case basis and adjust operations accordingly.”Earlier Sunday, the Department of Homeland Security said the program would be paused, citing “emergency measures to preserve limited funds” during the shutdown and a need to “refocus Department personnel on the majority of travelers.”The Independent has contacted DHS and the TSA for information on what prompted the apparent change.Other government travel programs and services remain paused, including Global Entry processing and courtesy escorts for members of Congress and their families, according to DHS. Chris Sununu, CEO of the industry group Airlines for America, argued in a statement that travelers are being “used as a political football amid another government shutdown.”“The announcement was issued with extremely short notice to travelers, giving them little time to plan accordingly, which is especially troubling at this time of record air travel,” he wrote.“It’s past time for Congress to get to the table and get a deal done that ensures TSA can fully operate and their frontline employees can be paid for the important work they do to keep our skies secure.”This is a breaking news story and will be updated with new information.More aboutTransportation Security AdministrationDHSgovernment shutdownTrumpDepartment of Homeland SecurityJoin our commenting forumJoin thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their repliesCommentsMost popularPopular videosBulletinRead next
Share:

Help us improve this article. Share your feedback and suggestions.

Related Articles

Cookie Consent

We use cookies to enhance your browsing experience, analyze site traffic, and serve personalized ads. By clicking "Accept", you consent to our use of cookies. You can learn more about our cookie practices in our Privacy Policy.