Ukrainian anti-corruption bodies have accused the former energy minister of money laundering. Prosecutors allege that his family received millions of dollars in foreign accounts.
Analysis & Context
Ukrainian anti-corruption bodies have accused the former energy minister of money laundering. Prosecutors allege that his family received millions of dollars in foreign accounts. Ukraine: Former energy minister accused of money laundering. Stay informed with the latest developments and expert analysis on this important story.
Ukrainian anti-corruption bodies have accused the former energy minister of money laundering. Prosecutors allege that his family received millions of dollars in foreign accounts.
Law and JusticeUkraineUkraine: Former energy minister accused of money launderingDmytro Hubenko with dpa, Reuters02/16/2026February 16, 2026Ukrainian anti-corruption bodies have accused the former energy minister of money laundering. Prosecutors allege that his family received millions of dollars in foreign accounts.https://p.dw.com/p/58rLIGerman Galushchenko, Ukraine's former energy minister, has been detained as a suspect in a high-profile case involving an alleged $100 million scheme at the state-owned nuclear company [FILE: August 2024]Image: Kirill Chubotin/Avalon/picture allianceAdvertisementUkraine's anti-corruption bodies, the National Anti-Corruption Bureau of Ukraine (NABU) and the Specialized Anti-Corruption Prosecutor's Office of Ukraine (SAP), on Monday accused a former energy minister of laundering millions of dollars in kickbacks. The bodies did not name a minister, but, the accusation came a day after the detention of German Galushchenko, who served as energy minister from 2021 to 2025 and briefly as justice minister until he resigned over a scandal in 2025. Galushchenko was detained on Sunday while trying to leave the country. Earlier, he had denied wrongdoing. What is ex-minister accused of? The suspect "was exposed for money laundering and participation in a criminal organization," which allegedly received more than $112 million (âŹ94 million) from illegal activities in the energy sector during his time in office, according to a statement from NABU. The suspected accomplices registered a fund on the island of Anguilla in 2021 with the intention of raising about $100 million in investments, the anti-corruption bodies said. A long-time acquaintance of members of the criminal organization, a citizen of the Seychelles and St. Kitts and Nevis, managed the fund and provided money-laundering services. The Galushchenko family was among the investors in the fund, the statement said. More than $7 million was transferred to foreign accounts naming Galushchenko's wife and four children as beneficiaries. Some of the money was used to pay for the children's education at elite schools in Switzerland, and some was placed in "a deposit, from which the family of the high-ranking official received additional income and spent it on their own needs," according to SAP and NABU.Ukrainian anti-graft agency investigates top Zelenskyy aideTo view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5 video What do we know about the 'Midas' case? Galushchenko is one of the most senior officials detained in the "Midas" case involving an alleged $100 million kickback scheme within the state-owned nuclear company Energoatom. Last year, the case sparked a political scandal that resulted in the dismissal of President Volodymyr Zelenskyy's chief of staff, Andriy Yermak. The case also fueled new public anger over ongoing corruption amid Ukraine's fight against Russia's full-scale invasion. The case concerns alleged bribes paid for the construction of devices to protect energy facilities from Russian airstrikes. In mid-November 2025, Galushchenko, who had since been appointed justice minister, and his successor as energy minister, Svitlana Hrynchuk, were dismissed. They had previously said the plot was organized by former Zelenskyy associate Timur Mindich, who fled to Israel before he could be arrested in November. Mindich, who founded the TV studio behind the hit sitcom that made Zelenskyy famous as an actor before he entered politics, has denied any wrongdoing.Two Ukrainian ministers resign after corruption probeTo view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5 video Edited by: Louis Oelofse Dmytro Hubenko Dmytro covers stories in DW's newsroom from around the world with a particular focus on Ukraine.Send us your feedbackYour feedbackAdvertisement