Latest News

Vatican declines to join Trump’s Gaza ‘Board of Peace,’ calls for UN leadership

February 18, 2026 at 08:34 AM
By Fox News
Vatican declines to join Trump’s Gaza ‘Board of Peace,’ calls for UN leadership
Vatican declines to join Trump's Board of Peace for Gaza recovery, citing concerns about the initiative's nature and preferring UN leadership instead.

Analysis & Context

Vatican declines to join Trump's Board of Peace for Gaza recovery, citing concerns about the initiative's nature and preferring UN leadership instead. Vatican declines to join Trump’s Gaza ‘Board of Peace,’ calls for UN leadership. Stay informed with the latest developments and expert analysis on this important story.
Vatican declines to join Trump's Board of Peace for Gaza recovery, citing concerns about the initiative's nature and preferring UN leadership instead. Vatican News & Updates Vatican declines to join Trump’s Gaza ‘Board of Peace,’ calls for UN leadership Cardinal Pietro Parolin cites 'critical points' and says UN should manage crisis situations instead By Michael Sinkewicz Fox News Published February 18, 2026 3:34am EST Facebook Twitter Threads Flipboard Comments Print Email Add Fox News on Google close Video 20+ countries to attend first Board of Peace meeting Rep. Rick Crawford, R-Ark., discusses ways the U.S. can support Iranian protestors and what he expects from the upcoming nuclear negotiations on ‘Sunday Night in America.’ NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles! The Vatican will not join President Donald Trump’s newly formed Board of Peace, its top diplomatic official said Tuesday, signaling reluctance from the Holy See to take part in the post-war initiative. Vatican Secretary of State Cardinal Pietro Parolin said the Holy See "will not participate in the Board of Peace because of its particular nature, which is evidently not that of other States," the Vatican’s official news outlet reported.The Board of Peace, which was chartered in January and includes nearly 20 countries, is tasked with managing recovery efforts in the Gaza Strip after the Israel-Hamas war. While responding to questions about Italy declining to join the board, Parolin said "there are points that leave us somewhat perplexed," adding that "there are some critical points that would need to find explanations." TRUMP SNUBS CANADA BY WITHDRAWING COUNTRY'S INVITE TO JOIN 'MOST PRESTIGIOUS BOARD OF LEADERS EVER' The Vatican announced it will not participate in President Trump’s Gaza recovery board. (AP Photo/Andrew Medichini) "The important thing is that an attempt is being made to provide a response," he said. "However, for us there are certain critical issues that should be resolved."Parolin continued, "One concern is that, at the international level it should above all be the UN that manages these crisis situations. This is one of the points on which we have insisted." Pope Leo, the first U.S. pope, received an invitation to join the peace board in January.TRUMP ENVOY WARNS HAMAS OF 'SERIOUS CONSEQUENCES' AS ADMIN LAUNCHES PHASE TWO OF GAZA PLAN The Vatican declined to join a U.S.-backed board tasked with overseeing post-war efforts in Gaza. (Alberto PIZZOLI / AFP via Getty Images) Leaders from 17 countries participated in the initial charter signing ceremony in Davos, Switzerland, in late January, including presidents and other senior government officials from Latin America, Europe, the Middle East and Central and Southeast Asia. Israel formally joined the board last week ahead of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's meeting with Trump at the White House.Several other countries were also invited by the White House, including Russia, Belarus, France, Germany, Vietnam, Finland, Ukraine, Ireland, Greece and China.TRUMP MEETS NETANYAHU, SAYS HE WANTS IRAN DEAL BUT REMINDS TEHRAN OF ‘MIDNIGHT HAMMER’ OPERATION President Donald Trump’s newly formed Board of Peace will move forward without Vatican participation. (AP Photo/Evan Vucci, File) Poland and Italy on Wednesday said they would not join.Trump announced Sunday that board members have pledged more than $5 billion in aid for Gaza.CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP The president said the funding would be formally pledged during a meeting Wednesday in Washington, D.C. Fox News Digital's Anders Hagstrom contributed to this report. Michael Sinkewicz is a writer for Fox News Digital. Story tips can be sent to [email protected] Related Topics Vatican News & UpdatesIsraelBenjamin NetanyahuWhite HouseDonald Trump Antisemitism Exposed Fox News' Antisemitism Exposed" newsletter brings you stories on the rising anti-Jewish prejudice across the U.S. and the world." Arrives Weekly By entering your email and clicking the Subscribe button, you agree to the Fox News Privacy Policy and Terms of Use, and agree to receive content and promotional communications from Fox News. You understand that you can opt-out at any time. Subscribe Subscribed Subscribe You've successfully subscribed to this newsletter!

Related Articles

Cookie Consent

We use cookies to enhance your browsing experience, analyze site traffic, and serve personalized ads. By clicking "Accept", you consent to our use of cookies. You can learn more about our cookie practices in our Privacy Policy.